Side by side: Building the bf.109 G-6 Zvezda vs. Eduard

• 23 posts
  • Last reply 1 day, 4 hours ago
Viewing 16 - 23 of 23 posts
  • Louis Gardner said 1 week, 2 days ago:

It looks like you have conquered the paint problem. They are looking great !!! Thanks for the updates. It should not be too much longer and you will have these two finished.

Overall which one has been the best to build and which one would you recommend as far as fit and accuracy ????

• Pedro L. Rocha said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Hey Louis! Yes, that paint issue was more or less overcome. I ended up repainting the entire wings of the Zvezda model, and resorted to paint a bit of Vallejo primer on the damaged areas in this one, the Eduard kit. It worked remarkably well, far better than I had expected.
    Answering to your question about which one I would recommend, I’d say Eduard simply because it builds better and the fit of parts is terrific. However Zvezda has the upper hand when it comes to all that you get in the plastic. The engine and the cockpit are some of the best OOB I’ve seen. The decals are the worst part. I will detail a bit more on this closer to the completion of the models. Thanks for the feedback!

• Pedro L. Rocha said 2 days, 5 hours ago:

A quick update on the Zvezda model.
    All airframe camouflage has been applied, now time for some washes soon.
    Some subassemblies are also completed but the most visible, the engine, is still halfway done.
    To avoid further troubles with paint peeling I resort to repaint the entire wing surface and this time used Gunze 75, maintaing MRP 74. The wing crosses are decal, both up and down. These are from the Eduard box and are very thin, nice color density and sharp image, but also stick very fast to the surface, so take some care when handling them.
    I leave you with a few images. Thanks for stopping by!

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• david leigh-smith said 2 days, 5 hours ago:

This is a great thread, Pedro. Somehow I missed it despite having the Eduard G6 on my bench as part of a diorama. Your comparisons are spot on and really informative. Terrific work and I won’t miss the updates!

• Pedro L. Rocha said 1 day, 11 hours ago:

Thank you David, glad you find it useful. This was just a good excuse to build me yet another couple of 109s 🙂 By the way, what diorama will that be?

• david leigh-smith said 1 day, 10 hours ago:

Like anyone around here needs an excuse to build a 109…

In my time modeling I have never painted on the sprue. As someone who does, what advantages to you fell you get? Just wondering if I’m really missing something here?

The diorama I’m (slowly) working on is an in-flight build of the Franz Stigler/Charlie Brown story/event. imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/franz-stigler-and-charlie-brown-a-story-for-the-generations/

Hope you are well, Pedro.

• Pedro L. Rocha said 1 day, 4 hours ago:

David, you have a sharp eye for big details my friend… I don’t usually go about painting parts while still attached to the sprues, but Zvezda has their 109 G designed to have the engine exposed as you can see in the photo, and the 2 cowling halves are easier (at least to me) to paint while still on the sprue tree and simply remove them only when all engine parts and bits are in their proper place, since they are the last detail to be assembled in that area of the model. The sprue connectors are thin so cutting, sanding and painting the small bare plastic visible after should be effortless. In the end the handling of those parts is a lot easier and safer. Any kit part that requires one or more parts attached so has to become one piece, like for example upper and lower wings, etc, those I go the usual route, painting only after all is completely assembled.
    BTW, your diorama will take a lot of a number of things…Time+Research+Space to display it, mental health, etc, etc ;-). Looking forward to it, will follow your thread with interest

• david leigh-smith said 1 day, 4 hours ago:

Thanks for explaining that, Pedro, I’m going to try that approach as one aim I have for this year is producing at least one ultra ‘clean’ build where handling will be a key area to get right.

Viewing 16 - 23 of 23 posts