Tamiya 1/48 P-47D "Magic Carpet" - A change in plans.................

Started by Darren Dickerson · 2 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 5 years, 12 months ago:

P-47D “Magic Carpet”

As a you are aware I was planning to build PP-47D RB "Pied Piper" and I became aware that decals for Pied Piper were better detailed on the recent Revell P-47 Razorback release, and decided to wait until I got these decals before tackling Pied Piper, hence the change to "Magic Carpet".

History - "Magic Carpet", P-47D-20-RE, serial number 42-76516 of the 390th Fighter Squadron, 366th Fighter Group flown by a Lieutenant Harold N. Holt. A 9th Air Force machine, it is in olive drab over neutral grey camouflage finish with a natural metal cowling front cowl, flaps, wings and canopy framing as well as white theatre recognition bands on its fin and rudder and horizontal stabilizers.

Magic Carpet, which is one I wanted to do in nay case. It has replacement wings and cowl in natural metal so this is a different looking P-47 and will try and replicate a beaten finish on the OD fuselage etc. A few progress pics attached, wings and cowl have received base coat of Tamiya AS12, next will be subtle addition of Alclad to various panels on the wings, nothing too stark. Might not get much more done in 2 weeks as big model show coming up (NSW Scale Model Show) and I am one of the organisers, so little time for actual modelling…….

Happy Modellling

Darren

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Good choice (and not often seen) - that'll be an eye-catcher for sure.