Tamiya 1/48th F-51 Mustang Korean War USAF #61044

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 36 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 9 months ago:

David that still carries over today being in Naval Aviation. Young dashing in that uniform, it was good times. I know...good memories

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update, built up the bombs and painted the blades black. Also painted the rocket heads Olive Drab. And with that well be back soon.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Lookin' good, Chuck.

• Profile Photo

thanks Jeff

• Profile Photo

Once test fitting and alignment, I install the completed cockpit into the LH fuselage half. The fit is perfect even with the PE enhancements. Next to assemble the fuselage. The fit again is excellent. Next the nose upper panel is installed. Don't know what else to say how well the parts on this kit fit. Next the lower intake lip is installed under the nose. Seam clean up is a matter of a couple of swipes with some wet and dry the fit is quite excellent. Next are the wings, first to drill out the holes for the rockets. Install the landing gear bay. Snap fit into the fuselage, install the upper wing panels and glue in place. Again I don't remember the last time how clean the fit was around the wing to fuselage join and fillet. It is excellent. Had to work the 190's and the Spits a bit to make the fit clean, again on the Mustang almost flawless. The Mustang is coming along quite well. Next the tailplanes were installed, again good fit here and the bomb racks. Next up to seal the seams and prep for the NMF finish. More to follow

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Chuck, I'm enjoying this build so much that I've just ordered the same kit, I wanted another Korean War plane after the Banshee and this fits the bill perfectly, keep up the good work. Thanks, George.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Your welcome George, that Banshee was amazing, I need to get that kit, like you I don't care about the critics either. There is no kit that is 100% perfect, even this Mustang, though it does go together very well. You will love the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Your Mustang is looking sharp ! You have inspired me to start a build of George Preddy's blue nosed Mustang "Cripes - a - Mighty". Now I need to decide on which one of the 4 planes he flew...
    Please keep us posted with updates my friend.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Chuck. Here's something the P-51 kit makers and most modellers miss and I'm not sure what it is but it very common to see on the starboard side.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis, which kit are you going to use Tamiya or the new Airfix kit. Or maybe a classic Monogram kit?

• Profile Photo

So George, the change has to be subtle. As I am going to bring in Tams Mustang from the workshop and see what if missing on the F-51?

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 8 months ago:

I think the only change over was the renaming, from P to F: F-51B, D and K

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Finally back to the Mustang after a few weeks away from the project. I painted the rockets while still on the sprue, OD nose with white bodies and fins. With that done it was time to address the seams, on the spine and under the fuselage. Also clean up the leading edges of the wings as well. The fit on this kit is excellent. Only filler was used to fill the spot where the fuselage was attached to the sprue. So just a couple of spots to fill. Once this process was done. Next to install the intake scoop under the center wings. Again a good fit here as well. Next the whatever it's called filler panel/ramp that adjust up or down behind the radiator. Now to paint the IP coaming Flat Black and then install the gun sight and windscreen. Test fit the canopy rail, paint the interior Flat Black before installing the canopy. The glass in this kit is crystal clear. Next time to mask and airbrush the overall black primer. More to follow.

19 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I think it is an oil vent, if it isn't it sure looks like one! And it is apparently easy to miss.
    Update: From the IPMS Quarterly, Vol. 5 #1/2: Article by William Stagg on Mustang details:
    It is a vent for the coolant header tank. "...usually caused a distinct oil streak on the side of the fuselage."

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Chuck, really coming together well! Are you going with "regular" wings or the puttied and painted variety? I don't know how long that lasted once WW II was over, todays question! Tomorrows is- "natural" metal, or painted overall aluminum dope? What's left of inquiring mind wants to know!