The 1/48 Tamiya Mustangs are alive and well

Started by Mark Rezac · 26 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

You are absolutely right Lee. I have gotten to the point now where I don’t buy new kits, just accessories for kids I already have. By the time I get to building a new kit, other kits have already come out and surpassed it. That is what happened with my Tamiya P-51’s. I was saving them for when I became a better builder.
    Now I’m just going to build my stash out or if I happened to acquire a kit, I will try to build it right away.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Rather ambitious project Mark, I am in the same mind set as you. I have accumulated quite a stash since the 90's. But have not really added much since the last couple of years. Building more now, funny that the Tamiya kits are considered old as well as the line of Hasegawa kits that were produced around the same time in 48th scale. I am mostly gathering some upgrades, decals now more than anything. I do love to get an some new Airfix kits though, they seem to be pretty good. Other than that I still love the "old" stuff still good and fun to build. Great approach to your Mustang project. Will watch as you progress.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Hi Mark fantastic project - love the multiple builds, I think you are right about the stash ( I'm guilty of the same thing!) - don't wait just build it/or them!

• Profile Photo

All the major painting has been done on the 10 mustangs and things look to be moving quickly. However, getting the smaller details done bogs down the progress a bit. I find that adding brake lines, Fuel lines to the underwing tanks, And painting the filler caps all add to the appearance of the model by making it look less toylike. If you can see in the pictures, I took probably more time than is needed to add straps, clamps, couplers,tow loops and hydraulics to the gear on all the builds. I do not have a decal for the “KIDD” on the gear door of Kid Hoffers’ mount so I had to actually mask and paint it myself. I’m pretty happy with the result. Special thanks to John Ferdico for pointing out my need to do so with photographic evidence.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Ferdico said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Wow, those gear struts are fantastic. What color are they? Is it a gray, or some sort of weathered steel color? It gives them a solid, weighty look.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John that is nice of you to say. I had mixed up some aluminum with some camo Gray added to use for the puttied wings but it was too dull and gray for my taste. So, since I don’t like to waste anything, i used it for the landing gear :-). I think the World War I guys would call the color silbergrau. I hope you weren’t talking about the real picture I posted!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Mark, this WIP report has inspired me to get out of my model building "funk." I ordered the new Airfix P-51D kit on the recommendation here & other reviews about the superior quality. Now I just have to get my butt in gear and BUILD! LoL!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice detail work Mark, what did you use for the fuel lines may I ask? I haven't been successful in trying to do them at all.

• Profile Photo

Hydraulic lines are just stripped copper wire of various gauges taken from cords of dead appliances. I rethread the plastic jacket to represent connectors though tape would work the same once painted. On the 110 gallon paper tank I actually used fine solder wire that you can get at a bait and tackle shop for weighting flies I think. The advantage is you don’t have to paint it and it is more bendable into more natural looking curves. I use both depending on what gauge is needed for the scale.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Well, it’s been slow going decaling the 10 mustangs. Many of the decal sheets were decades old kit decals or micro scale sheets. These were very fragile with a propensity to break up if handled too roughly… Or at all! However, Kudos to cardiograph decals which go on beautifully and look painted on. So far no major screwup‘s and decals are on six out of the 10. Once the decals are done there is still a lot to do of course but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. The first four pictures are of the 1/48 scale Tamiya, Hasegawa and ICM kits. The last photo is of the 1/72 scale Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. The only one built out of the box is the Tuskegee airmen mustang.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This herd of ponies are looking really good ! Thanks for posting an update on your progress...