Thanks for the nudge, Tom. I’ve been plugging away at it steadily, though my progress hasn’t yet been very photogenic, so I only recently took more pictures. I’ve ben able to add the lower wings and start work on the cockpit.
The biggest progress since the last post is my P-39 has devolved into a P-400. I finally committed to markings; I just couldn’t resist the RAF Camouflage and sharkmouth of the Guadalcanal Airacobras. So, I’ve started adding details specific to P-400s: the blue position lights behind the cockpit, an additional light under the left wing (sadly, I’ll be painting over the nearby red green and amber lights, as they were not installed on P-400s) and cockpit details. I’ve got resin twelve-stub exhausts from a Special Hobby release, and I’ll borrow a Trumpeter P-40B prop for the Curtiss blades on the P-400.
Another big part of the progress was building a jig to set the wing dihedral and insure general alignment as I put it all together. It doubles as a great handle and protects some of the underside details, so I’m leaving it taped in place until painting begins.
16 attached images. Click to enlarge.