Tribute to the USS Princeton and the men and Hellcats of VF 27

Started by david leigh-smith · 50 · 6 years ago · aircraft carriers, CAG 15, Hellcat, Pacific war, VF27
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 10 months ago:

What a difference a day of doing what you want makes. Woke this morning, still feel great.
    Today I'm hoping to do some detailing and paint the teeth on one of the cats. I'll post some photos later. Thanks for all the support!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Your progress is outstanding David. Looks like you'll soon have a great pair of Cats to display. Really like the way the Hellcat with the wings folded looks. Carry on.

• Profile Photo

Tom, thanks for your words and considering how much I admire your TBD it's a real compliment for me. I agree about the wings on the Hellcat; for me there's something insect-like about the way they fold.
    Hope you have a terrific weekend.

• Profile Photo

First, rough paintwork on the cat's nose art. Doing this by hand as I think it just looks a little more authentic.
    And the postman just brought me a new cutting mat! Back in the day it'd be a new car, a new girlfriend, gigging with the band, leading your team out as captain. In 2017 I'm getting excited about a cutting mat...
    Cant quite figure if that's a good or a bad thing?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 10 months ago:

David, simple pleasures! The catmouth looks good, can we see a closeup? Just like the original, hand painted! Probably each one is different, too. Back when I started out, the decals in the box were it. If the markings were embossed into the plastic, you could paint your own! Hi tech.

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernard.
    Simple pleasures indeed. I like to think it's a good reference point of how life is - that small things make you smile.
    I've been spending a little more time today on the catmouth and plan to post some photos later. Also been making some electrical 'pigtail' connectors for the HVARs (below). Sun still shining here, four days in a row in London which constitutes a whole Summer.

Long days and pleasant nights, all.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

David, what kinda wire are you using for the cattails? It looks the business!
    I remember how shocked I was when I first saw a catmouth on an F6F. What Bruce Robertson called "animate aeroplanes" have always been an interest of mine. Of course, the first model I ever built was an Aurora P-40 with the sharkmouth on it. That set me off on the downward polystyrene path to perdition.

• Profile Photo

I must have made a whole squadron of Kittyhawks when I was a kid, just because of those shark mouths. The pigtails are 1.4 Amp model railway wire; its great stuff that comes in almost any colour so can be used for a whole lot of purposes - I used the copper and black version for spark leads in the engine and the brake line.

'Polystyrene path to perdition' - might have to steal that one. Almost done with the 'cat mouth' - just some finessing and weathering to do.

And the real thing - my artistic skills are not what they were back in the day but I really wanted to get something of that hand painted 'feel' on the cat. It looks better than it does in the photos. God, where have I heard that before?

The rain is back, so it's back to business as usual here - although it's a public holiday tomorrow, so no Sunday Night Blues tonight. And back on the polystyrene road tomorrow!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Anyone have any ideas on how to rotate photos...

• Profile Photo

David, thanks for the tip on the wire, both look like they'd be really useful, adds a lot to the engine, plumbing!
    Great work on the catmouth! Maybe you could branch out and do custom work for the discriminating, like the flames guys in the car business.

• Profile Photo

Ahhhh, when I was in my late teens - back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - I spent my summers painting motorbike fuel tanks on the western isles of Scotland. Damn happy days.
    Thanks, Bernard!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Wow David, what a terrific job. I've just been reading through the whole topic. Had some catching up to do. Nice to see the double building of the cats and interesting to read about the differences between them. The folding wings are not only helpful to disguise some errors of the kit manufacturer, I think it's also great to have the cats shown as they could have been on the flight deck. Great job on the nose art as well, wow free hand paitning, just like the real ones. Wonderful job.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a million, Ferry!
    Have so enjoyed this build. I'm hoping to finish the build of the cats tomorrow although there's a lot of weathering and detail to be done. I hope to get stuck in to the diorama detail this week - maybe finish the whole thing by the end of June. Work, it's such a damned PITA, even though I really enjoy what I do.
    I also added the Eduard fabric harnesses to the cats today (below) - really lovely addition.

• Profile Photo

Just a little progress today. Built the little tractor tug and added some detail to the cats. Waiting for the wife to go to work later in the week before spraying the cats with some future (she hates the smell, and boy do I mean hates) before some weathering and decals.

I have something of a problem; try as I might I cannot find registry markings for ANY of the cats that relocated from VF 27 on the Princeton to the Essex. May have to take a best guess unless anyone out there (Tom C?) can give me a steer.

• Profile Photo

Spent most of my day at the Ministry of Justice (London) today. At election time in the U.K. it's an interesting place to be. Irony is that I was presenting a lecture on stress. After Brexit and the US presidency election - we live in interesting times.

Anyway - HELLCATS.

I gave the base a spray of Tamiya Deck Tan, my plan is to overlay some German Grey, and wear the layer down in places to show the 'wood'.

Did some detailing on the HVAR's...

Also painted the canopies - Jezebel, am I glad I folded the wings on that HobbyBoss - it's not pretty.

So, now for a small drink of that nice red wine in the last photo. Hoping to get onto the decals/markings by the weekend. Then on to the figures.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.