Tribute to the USS Princeton and the men and Hellcats of VF 27

Started by david leigh-smith · 50 · 6 years ago · aircraft carriers, CAG 15, Hellcat, Pacific war, VF27
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Behold, the acid bath of doom.

I believe in technical terms this is called 'Alkaline Hydrolysis' when applied to humans. Alas, not all builds go to plan and my game has just not been up to bringing my Essex crew up to the plate.

I tried every trick I could but by the time my paint was 'taking' there were so many layers I lost the detail.

So, patience. Patience. And maybe a beer. And some more patience. I'm pretty determined to get where I want to with this build and this is where iModeler spirit really helps. I want to get better and not just settle for completing a build; for me this is very much about learning and as long as you can push yourself and still have fun, I think it's a winning formula.

Oh, and if anyone has any helpful tips for painting 1/48 figures, I'm all ears.

• Profile Photo

On a more positive note, my Avengers arrived for my next build.

The sun has just come out, and I'm off to the store to get a bottle of something cold and medicinal.

See ya'll later.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis. Thanks for the reply. As you can see, everything just went south with the figures, but thanks for the photo of Paul Buie on the Lexie. I love that photo as it really catches something of those men that hits a note with me. Bravery, honour, duty; whatever it is it's special.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

David, did you prime the figures before you applied paint? What/whose paints are you using?
    Same manufacturer? You might want try a test first on a piece of card or paper. Could be a bad batch.

• Profile Photo

Bernard, I think it was just a mixture of poor prep and bad materials. I stripped the figures and primed the figures well second time around, and the Vallejo paints saved the day. Next time, I feel confident I'll get the look I want. May well have been a bad batch because when I tried a test spray of chaos black, it went on fine.
    Thanks, and very best wishes!