Trumpeter 1/48th MiG-23ML, Iraqi AF Gulf War 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 39 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 4 months ago:

I like your approach with painting the wings first. It makes great sense. I'll have to keep that idea in my mind when I build my next swing wing plane that's camouflaged. I have the old Hobby Craft version of the Mig 23 and (I think a -27 too) where this would apply.

Looks like your build is coming along nicely. Your ejection seat looks great.
    Thanks for sharing my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Louis, i have the old Esci MiG-27 kit, with some AM stuff to help it out. As it is quite basic in the cockpit. Since you mentioned it I am going to just pop the lid and see how it holds up against the Trump kit. Different plane really but it's roots is a MiG-23BN.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Merry Christmas, it has been a couple of weeks since the last posting. Today we will work on the cockpit. IP and the side consoles. First the base interior is Warbird color Russian Grey/Green. Which doesnt quite match the PE color that Eduards provides in their set. Which is ok anyway, adds a little color to the overall interior. We first sand the details off the kits IP panel and then add the PE bits, really does enhance it. Next the molded side consoles are removed before adding the PE bits here as well. We then install the rear bulkhead to the cockpit floor. Let it set and then the IP, pedals and control stick. Next up will build some of the sub assy's That's it for now. More to follow

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Finally getting the seat finished, I have never added so many PE bits to a seat such as I did for the MIg-23. But what a difference it makes enhancing it. Reason why I took my time to allow each bit to set before adding more to finally complete it.I will install this into cockpit tub later, reason that there will be a lot of handling of the kit as it progresses and limit the chances of any bits falling off during the process. Next to install the PE bits and pieces on the fuselage halves. Put this aside for awhile and build some of the sub assy's next. More to follow

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Good booga mooga! Look at that seat! How did you keep your sanity? And eyesight.

• Profile Photo

The trick for me is not to do it all at once, Do a couple of pieces then put it aside work on something else.

• Profile Photo

Now to work on the exhaust nozzle. Multi part endeavor, using Metal Master steel, gun metal, burnt metal, and jet exhaust to make up the different shades. Assembled it and installed into the RH fuselage 1/2. Next up the gear bays. More to follow.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Now back to regular programming, with the Midway Group Build now in the past, time to pick up on the MiG-23, sitting idle for the last 4 months. Where we left was to start to assemble the fuselage. Getting back into building the landing gear bays, starting with the nose gear bay and assembling the multi piece gear bay. This where some say the over-engineering comes into play. Though the parts fit well and align quite nicely. And then you look at Esci's simple gear bay moulded into the fuselage 1/2 of their kit and you see what some of those critics meant. However the detail is much better compared to the that kit. Anyway it does fit well into the fuselage after test fitting. Putting that aside, next to install the cockpit tub into the forward nose section, test for alignment before cementing. With the PE detail bits installed on the side consoles on both nose halves, the cockpit tub aligns well and the nose is assembled. Next time will finish up the rear lower fuselage section before we start installing the swing wings. More to follow

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Putting the fuselage off to the side. It was time to work on the splitter plates, install the PE grille work from the kit. Installed the fillers behind each panel. Painted the intake areas Grey and then installed each plate to the intakes. Next up time to install the swing wings and it's components.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Simple yet effective approach in how Trumpeter allows the swing wing feature to function in a way that it will last over the years. 1st removing the upper section from the sprue. Assembling the swing wing mechanism components. Next to place the wings in position. Trumpeter known at times for over engineering, in this case quite an easy procedure. Next to install the wing glove section, let it set. Once the glue has everything nice and secure. The wings function properly, not loose or floppy, nice fit overall. Next to install the assembled upper section to the main fuselage and now we have what starting to llke a Mig-23. More to follow.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

After a brief hiatus, (too hot to work in the shed), time to add the IP coaming over the instrument panel. The assemble the tail and attach it to the fuselage. One of the distinguishing features of the ML over let say the MS and earlier variants of the Flogger is the ML tail is shorter and does not have the longer extension. Next I installed the gun pod under the fuselage. Next to do some filler work around the intakes. Sides of the fuselage, this kit has several place that needs attention around the air frame. Finally place some lead weights in the nose cone and then attach it to the nose and we are done for today.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Next to get some sub assemblies done, in this case the weapons. Will configure the MiG-23 with 2 R-24 Mid range missiles and 4 R-60 short range missiles. The pylons for these missiles were also assembled and painted In Lt Blue Grey. The missiles are white. Trumpeter supplies a nice set of stencils for these and they go on very well. In fact this kit is like a weapon set on it's own with the extra ordnance supplied in the kit. After decaling the ordnance and pylons, put them aside and continue on to the next phase. Install the nose.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Just found your thread Chuck. That seat is very impressive. I've got a couple of swing-wings in the stash and you've sold me on the wings first method

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I'm with George: I just found this.

That seat (and interior) is quite the little model in itself. It looks awesome! The amount of different weapons provided is amazing.

Great job!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks George/Jeffry, It took a few days to build it, quite tedious with all the PE that are involved. The basic seat is quite detailed on it's own from the kit. But a little enhancement goes a long ways. If you have ever seen the Esci kit in this scale it is so basic compared to the over engineered Trumpeter. But it does go together well so far.