Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R

Started by George Williams · 15 · 9 years ago · Kawasaki, Ninja, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

This is my latest motorcycle kit, Tamiya's 1/12 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R. The original was introduced to the public at the 1999 Paris motorcycle show, and was reportedly created in the image of a fighter plane, and its aerodynamics were developed with the cooperation of Kawasaki Heavy Industries' Aerospace Division. It has a fuel injected four cyclinder liquid cooled engine of 1,199cc, developing 178 bhp, more than enough to propel to a top speed in excess of 300 kilometres per hour.
    Onto the kit,

introduced by Tamiya in 2003, it's up their usual standards, with parts moulded in grey, black, chrome plated and transparent plastic, it also includes some self adhesive chrome sheet for the mirrors and part of the front forks. Unusually the fairings are moulded in semi-transparent green enabling you to see the mechanics underneath, however, I shall be spraying them in Kawasaki's Candy Lime Green, Tamiya ref TS52, to my mind, at least, Ducatis are red and Kawasakis are green.

Here are some pictures of the basic engine assembly, colours used include X18, X11, X32, XF28 and XF16.

Assembly follows on with the frame, sprayed with TS29, here are the ram air box and the rear fender, sprayed with the same colour.
    Now these parts are all fitted to the frame, together with the radiator.

That's all for now, thanks for looking, George

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I find 300 km/h potential in a street bike scary, but iot sure is an impressive piece of engineering. Always following your bike builds with interest /m

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Another master piece coming along nicely George.
    Will watch with interest.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Like what I see so far George. Should be another colorful build but I can't figure out what shade of red that is.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I love these bikes George. Not the easiest in the corners, and not the fastest on a track, but on a dual carriageway they are ballistic! Interesting colouring on the engine block there. I will certainly be following this project!

• Profile Photo

Near disaster! When I posted the pictures above I wasn't really happy with the fit of the ram air box and the rear fender onto the main frame. I kept looking at it and then someone switched the light on, I had fitted the main frame spacer, part B3, upside down! It only occured to me when I looked at the brake fluid reservoir, it was the wrong way up. Luckily I had only lightly fixed the air box and fender, so they came off quite easily. I then had to remove the engine, when I discovered another mistake. The engine is held by four screws, and I had gone ahead and used four screws all the same size, if I had checked the instructions I would have seen that one of them was different...Anyway, I had to remove the spacer. I tried applying some more cement in a vain attempt to loosen it, but that didn't work, so I had to carefully slice through it at each end and re-fit it the right way up. With everything back together again the fit is much better and the brakes should work OK! Is there a moral to this story, maybe, check the instructions!

Now I can get on with the handlebars and the front fork assembly.

Bye for now

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Where's the fun if you can't go backwards now & then.

• Profile Photo

Here's a 'post operation' picture of her sitting on the optional transparent centre stand which plugs into where the sump plug would normally go.

The stand is an option to using the kickstand, I think it's a lot more stable and also means that the finished model can be displayed vertically like its racing stablemates in the display case, rather than at an angle.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

OK George, even the best of us make mistakes, at least yours was easily fixed.
    One of the things I have been saying to Rose is check , double check and check again before fixing/ painting etc.
    She looks a great build though, look forward to seeing more of this build.

• Profile Photo

The Ninja has a four into two into one exhaust system. Here's a picture of the three components

. The four branch piece is moulded in grey plastic. I first sprayed this gold, and then gave it a thin wash of copper (the picture shows it before painting). The other two parts come with a chrome plated finish. Needless to say, when the model is finished the painted part of the exhaust is all but hidden...

• Profile Photo

There's not a lot more to add now, just a few bits and pieces and then the main fairings. Here's a couple of pictures of the side fairings temporarily fitted showing the translucent finish that they come with. I'm going to remove them for painting in candy lime green.

. I'll be posting pictures of the finished model in Headlines very soon.

• Profile Photo

I forgot to mention that the only real modification I made to this kit was to drill out the ventilation holes in the front and rear brake discs!

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hi mate, stunning model !
    Was the exhaust already in that chrome finish? The R1 kits I've done have had a metal effect finish on the frame's, which was pretty spot on to the real thing. However there was black plastic underneath the metal effect coating which was really visible when cut from the sprues.

The gold chain is a really cool touch! I sometimes think it's a shame to put the fairings on after so much work has been done to the engine. I might do a custom street fighter in the future!

What is the next bike you have planned?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Richard, thanks for looking at this, Al Hoffman started this group recently, and I've been trying to support him. As you can see above, the Ninja's exhaust system comes in three parts. The tail pipe, and the two pipe section come ready chromed, and the joins and sprue feeds were pretty much hidden when assembled, so you can't really see the black plastic underneath. The four pipe section comes in grey plastic which I sprayed gold and then gave it a thin wash of copper, but this is completely hidden anyway when the fairings are attached. The next bike planned is a Suzuki Hegabusa (have I spelt that right?), I seem to be getting into the road bikes now, although I originally set out to do only racers..., but I must have a go at your favourite, the Yamaha R1 sometime, and then there's the new Tamiya Ducati Panigale... In the meantime I must finish the French tank I'm supposed to be doing for the group build, there's only a month left before the deadline!

How about you, what's in the pipeline?

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 6 months ago:

It's Hayabusa if I'm correct, I used to have one. It's Japanese for peregrine falcon, the fastest bird in the sky. I am also led to believe the main food source for the falcon in japan is the common blackbird. The name was very apt as the bike was designed to be the worlds fastest production bike, and also to take the title from the Honda CBR 1100 blackbird, which was the quickest at the time. Is it the standard busa or the X1?

I'm working in the Shetlands now, so I am doing the build work up here, then I have to take them home to the spray booth. I'm away to Malta this Saturday so I think it will be October before anything is finished. I'm in the build stages of three different ones currently.

The AH-64D is pretty much ready to put the cockpit in and seal up ready to spray and weather. I'm also having a go at some armor. I'm building a 1:35 Challenger 1 which is coming along nicely, then the third is the AH-1W. I've got a full Big Ed PE it for that one and aftermarket decals. Then when all that is done I've got the notorious Testors B2 to contend with!

All that should definitely see me into next year!