Mad Max Style Scene

Started by David Powell · 4 · 6 years ago · 1/24, bike, figure, mad max, motorcycle
  • Profile Photo
    David Powell said 6 years ago:

As a figure painter I don't normally delve too much into the world of vehicle models... but this figure from Latorre had me picturing a post-apocalyptic Mad Max type of scene. And any character in that world definitely needs a vehicle! While I initially considering converting a car, I decided that would make the scene larger than I wanted. Plus, since my background is in figures, I want the figure to be just as prominent in the scene as the vehicle and a car would likely overshadow him. So I opted for a motorcycle. It would allow for some fun conversions, limit the size of the scene, and more evenly share the spotlight with the figure.

The figure is 75mm or ~1/24 or 1/25 scale. I started searching for motorcycle kits only to find that it is really hard finding one that small. Searching the internet I came up with only two kits, a Tasca model and a pair of dirt bikes from AMT. The Tasca one was clearly the nicer model, the AMT is pretty simple by comparison. But I figured I'd have an easier time converting the AMT bikes and they were also 1/4 the cost of the Tasca (so if I screwed up I hadn't wasted much money!).

Below is a look at the figure and the original bike kit. I've just begun to convert it into something appropriate for that world. I liked the stretched out look of a chopper, so that's where I've started. Also used some wire to add a bit more detail. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the rest. At the moment I'm thinking the back will be a bit more tank-like. Add some armor and make it look a bit beefier. And of course I'll have to add some trophies and other personalization to the bike.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years ago:

Off to a nice start there, David...gonna be a cool-lookin' scene I'll bet!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Looks fab, happy to follow this thread David! Make it into a mad easy rider!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Looks very interesting! I like the way your reasoning goes. The bike looks fine.