Tamiya 1/24 Mercedes Benz 300 SL

Started by George Williams · 17 · 8 years ago · 1/24, 300sl, Mercedes, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 10 months ago:

This is Tamiya's latest 1/24 kit,the iconic Mercedes Benz 300SL [pic1}. To some extent it follows their philosphy of following the assembly of the prototype. I've chosen this kit as a present to my brother in law, a very genorous man, who keeps hinting that I should build a kit for him. I've chosen this as I don't usually build road cars (I prefer race cars and bikes), but I think he will like this one. The kit comprises various sprues, a white one for the body

, and grey , black and chromed ones for the remainder of the model. Nicely moulded rubber tyres are also included, along with chrome insignia. Assembly starts with the frame in two halves, top and bottom. A nice information sheet is also supplied, about 1,400 cars were manufactured by Mercedes, most of which were finished in the standard silver (aluminium), but I quite fancy the ivory white , what do you think?

11 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Go with what you feel comfortable with George.
    You are sure to make a masterpiece out of her.
    It looks a great kit too.
    Will have to follow this mate...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 10 months ago:

So, onto steps 1 and 2, the frame is assembled in to halves (upper and lower), and then these are joined together, ready to be cleaned up for a rattle can spray of gloss black. The frame is quite complex and it pays to study the instructions carefully, speaking of which, the instruction booklet has 20 stages spread over 10 pages, so plenty to keep me busy.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like a good kit George. I do like these cars, they are legendary! I would prefer the modern SLS though! But it's modelled on the old gull wing design, you have to respect the classics.

I would say go for white, it will show the chrome of better, but it's your call. I always used to like the Merc's in silver, but I have begun to prefer them in white these days when scouring the autotrader.

When I get home off the rig I'm going to start a WIP with the Sauber Mercedes. It's been a side project for a while now but I should be able to give it a bit more attention when I'm back.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Great start with this beautiful kit. One of the classics of this car producer.
    Happy modelling, George 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Good start there George, a lot of dry fitting mate?

Keep it up mate, looking good.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Next step is adding some of the running gear, including the rear axle, steering assembly and the brakes, I've added some shading between the cooling fins on the brake drums (imagine a car of this performance using drum brakes!). I've tried to upload some pictures at this stage, but the Chinese gremlins seem to be at work again... I'll try again later!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Sounds like you are having fun George.
    We hope that you can sort the pics out mate.

• Profile Photo

Well, progress is being made, even if I can't show it to you! The chassis is virtually complete, having added the engine, gearbox, radiator and a few other bits and pieces. All seems to be going OK, but,I can see some trouble on the horizon, namely with the chromium plated dashboard, which, along with the chrome, also needs to be painted in various places in two different colours...

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Good looking kit, George. Will you try to keep the kit chrome or apply metallics?

• Profile Photo

Great work I see George LOL.
    We can see in our minds dear chap, another fine build.

• Profile Photo

Hi Rob, thanks for looking, I'm trying to keep the kit chrome where possible, it's just that in some places, especially the dashboard and the wheel hub caps you have to paint over it, and it doesn't take paint very well. I think it will be possible to scrape the chrome off the hub caps, but it's not really feasible on the dashboard, there are too many delicate mouldings around the instruments...

• Profile Photo

George, try using bleach to soak the chrome off, that is what I did on the Ferrari.
    Household thin bleach.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 8 years, 5 months ago:

George…….how is the Gull Wing coming along? I started mine today and thought I'd see how you were doing.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 8 years, 5 months ago:

That's a marvellous model, George.
    Have a look in the movie I posted today. I guess it will confirm your interest in the Ivory white.