1/48 Testors F8F-2 Bearcat

Started by Tom Bebout · 25 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Made some progress today on the Bearcat. At the tail there is a lump of plastic that is suppose to depict the tail hook. It really just looks like a bulge.

Therefore, I sanded it off and made a home made tail hook out of scrape plastic and inserted it instead. Seems to be a somewhat more realistic representation of the real thing. After painting I'll also add a tail navigation light. Also lacking was a landing light but it's shape is represented in the left wing. It's either the landing light or a gun camera, I'm not sure. So I cut it out and glued some clear sprue in the opening and when dried sanded and polished it flush with the wing. Did the same for the nav lights as well. Went through the spares box and found a gun sight and glued her in as well. Spent some time going through some of my aviation books and found a good pic detailing the antennas that were used and their placement, so that mystery has been solved. Should be applying some paint shortly.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Very Nice ! I like what I'm seeing here... Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Some improvements there Tom, looking good.

• Profile Photo

Finally got the cat in the paint shop, used Tamiya Navy Blue, AS-8, from a rattle can. It's a little lighter than I though it would be but still looks the part.

I've used the kit decals and they settled down quite well but are on the rather thick side. Placed an over coat of Future to seal the decals and dismissed the thought of doing a final semi-gloss overcoat. I rather like the glossy look for now. Attached the antenna wires, the smaller ones are from copper wire and polystyrene rod. Found a Nav light from the spares box and likewise added it to the rear fuselage and off set as indicated per my research. Pretty well pleased with out my homemade tail hook came out versus the blob plastic shown in a previous update. Nothing left but to just finish up the prop and we should have a Bearcat soon.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I can't wait, Tom! I LOVE the Bearcat - it's one of my favorite aircraft and my 2nd fave 'Cat. (I'm very partial to the F7F Tigercat - it's my numero Uno favorite 'Cat.)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Wow Tom you have been busy ! Looks fantastic... What decals did you use ?

• Profile Photo

The kit's supplied decals were used Louis. Somewhat on the thick side I may add.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I really like the antenna wire you used, Tom! It looks awesome!

(I know ... I know ... Awesome is an over-used word but it's apropos for this model!) Beautiful work, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great Tom - the adjustments you made to add detail have worked out really well! It's amazing how this has all come together - looking forward to the final touches!