I was finally able to start this one, got the paint which will be used, and a nice resin aftermarket seat. Or so I thought…
The kit is ok, albeit a bit basic in some areas. I added some doodads to the cockpit side walls, should be enough as the real thing hasn’t too much going on there.
The cockpit tub and IP were given a coat of Tamiya Flat Black, the rear bulkhead was masked off, for the Dark Gull Gray I used Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey. I handpainted the black panels and various switches with Lifecolor Acrylics. A pin wash with Mig Panel Line Washes concluded the cockpit work.
Now, the seat. The kit’s seat is basic, lacking seat belts and looking rather anemic. My (very limited) research told me these aircraft had Martin Baker Mk.6 seats installed, so this is what I ordered from Neomega. As you can see from the pictures, this is a beautifuly cast and detailed piece and should look very good once painted. Problem is, it doesn’t fit. At all. So, some more research… Turns out I will need to use the MB Mk.4, don’t ask me why.
Anyway, as the seat can be installed at any time I will proceed with the build as if nothing happended – and maybe do some better research befor I order stuff in the future 🙂
11 attached images. Click to enlarge.