1/72 Italeri Sepecat Jaguar GR.3 RAF "Big Cat"

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 38 · 6 years ago · 1/72, Big Cat, Jaguar, RAF, Sepecat
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Yeah, the cats are on the move. So this will be my take-off on the GB. I will mostly build OOB and looking forward to a challenge with the decals.
    I got one or two other cats hanging around in my stash, let's see where we go from here.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Ah - a Jag in my scale! Bring it!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I could not resist opening the box and do a little check of the parts this evening. Great kit and wonderful decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I get the same way... It's like Christmas all over again when you open a new model box... Looks like this one will be fun to watch.
    Thanks for starting a build thread.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 10 months ago:

The Italeri Jag is a pretty good kit, builds well. You will enjoy this project Ferry, good choice

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice selection

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Nice choice Ferry.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks guys! Not much time to build the last couple of days. So last night I did a little work on the cockpit. I keep it as it is OOB, just try to get some details visible. For the radar screen I used a small piece of Bare Metal Foil and two layers of transparent blue from Tamiya, just to give a little effect. Picture do not really show the effect, to bright. In reality it's just fine.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan. Also for the Jaguar only some small progress due to other obligations. I fitted the cockpit and nose assembly. Just added some weight in the nose to be sure. It's not mentioned by Italeri, but let's say some experience made me do this. A dry fit of the rear assembly, just to see how everything is lining up.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

The sprue layout looks very similar to the Hasegawa kit I just started this weekend, though you've got more detail to work with in the cockpit! I'm just gonna rely on kit decals, which usually works for me since it's always closed up and in flight. I'm looking forward to seeing yours come together - especially those decals!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I like the way you did the radar screen. Very inventive - it looks GREAT!
    Nice work, Ferry!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

That paint scheme is awesome. Good thing it has decals - I sure couldn't do the real plane's scheme justice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg. yes the decals will be a nice challenge. Thanks Jeffry. Sometimes you just got to try something. I used the technique for the radar screen earlier for IR sensors on Cobra helicopters.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Finaly again an update on the Big Cat. As "normal life" takes a lot of time away from building. Anyway, started with the landing gear. It's strait forward job, but with a lot of cleaning up to do. Seamlines all over the lenght of the oleos ar quit time consuming to remove. I will install the gear after painting the fuselage to prevent damage.

The wings are moulded as one part, not so bad, but after dry-fitting they showed some serious trenches where they meet the fuselage. To overcome the worst gaps I added shims made from Evergreen strip. The remaining small gaps will be filled in with putty. A lot of sanding and some re-scribing of panel lines will follow. The kit is showing it's age for sure. Nevertheless it's still a fun build which I enjoy. So I have some pictures of "Spotty the Big Cat" with external fuel tanks under the wings. Since they come also with the kit I decided to build them as well. Again seamlines and fitting problems, so a lot of sanding and re-scribing was required.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.