3 Hasegawa F6F Hellcats, #1 Daytona Beach NAS 1944-45, #2 Blue Angels Bird, #3 Target Tow or Drone

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F6F, Hasegawa, Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Bernard ! That's what I'm trying to replicate, and where the inspiration to build them like this came from... 🙂 Modeler's Bethpage is a good one. I'll have to use that one on occasion if you don't mind.

After some work on two other projects was completed, I sprayed on some "Interior Green" on the F6F's...

Here's the "Iron Works" in action:

a close up of the F6F cockpits (in the foreground, all in a row) and another pair from a different plane (top of this picture)... Can you name the other plane from looking at this picture ?

The fuselages received a coat of green also...

Here's the "Iron Works" right after I painted all of the cockpit assemblies from various builds that I have gong on right now. I have found it much easier to spray one color on multiple subjects at once. It saves on clean up time too.

finally a close up of the F6F "offices" ,(with the "mystery plane cockpits in the background), just after spraying.

I feel as if I made some good progress today...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 5 months ago:

You have Louis, always nice to get some paint on, looking good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan !

Tonight at the Modelers Bethpage, (thanks Bernard)

I managed to get the offices done for all four Cats.

Here's the end result.

A little oil wash next and then they go into the fuselage.

Enjoy and as usual, comments are encouraged.

Have a great evening.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

That is unbelievable stuff. Brilliant Louis - you spoke about the size of your stash a little while back - you'll make a dent at this rate! What is really impressive is the consistency. I'm not sure I could spot a difference between one and the next - which is a huge credit to your skill!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

One of these days I'll have to try an assembly line build - I'll bet it's much more time efficient up to a certain point. About the only thing I have a whole bunch of is F-4's, but I'd love to be able to assembly line all the metal work and cockpit enhancements (most kits don't really have the rear-seater console tricked out very well).

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the words of encouragement Paul. I build some of the kits in my stash this way to save time. If I don't at least try then my stash of models will outlast me ! The stash probably will outlast me even with my efforts. But I'm trying... 🙂

Greg I would really give the assembly line method a go. It definitely saves time when that's what you're after. I know that this hobby is relaxing and many people take their time which is great. But I have 9 Hasegawa F6F's in the stash and this will thin the herd of Cats down to 5 left not counting the Eduard and the Hobby Boss dash 3's which will boost the grand total of Hellcats back up to seven. My goal is to build as many things as I can. Thanks for watching along.

• Profile Photo

This is progress from last night.

I glued two fuselage sections together

and trimmed out the side window on two more.

On the two that have side windows I sprayed the inside with light gray to resemble Grumman Gray

The rear portion of the cockpit was also painted in light gray. Next I painted the compressed oxygen bottle in yellow. I didn't go crazy with this since these places are hardly visible once the fuselage is buttoned up.

Today was a great day at the Iron Works and I made a lot more progress with the Cats. I'll try to post up some photos later today.
    Thanks for looking and comments are always encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures of todays work.

Four fuselages are now buttoned up.

If you look close, you will notice an extra engine and cowling that came from the spare parts bin. These items were left over from a previous build and these kit parts were replaced with resin upgrades. I decided to go ahead and get these parts ready for a future Hellcat build. By having these extra parts ready to go, the next Hellcat build following this set of four should go together really quickly.

This photo shows two of the five wing assemblies I build up and four elevator / stabilizer sets.

Here's the remaining three wings. I had to putty in several panel lines on the lower side of the wings on the "Dash - 5" versions, as those lines were not present. Then the Blue Angel, Target Tow and the Drones all had the armament removed. So the shell casing and link ejector ports and gun openings in the leading edge were also puttied over after I glued in some plastic card stock as a backing.

This shows a close up of the cowlings after another panel line was filled in and sanded. Here you can see the filler primer gray paint. It still needs to be wet sanded with 2000 grit paper...

Here are 5 propellers, ready for paint... The seams and sprue attachment points have been taken care of.

The engines are ready for installation now... A light wash was given to bring out the molded in details. These should be presentable once installed since most of the details are covered with the cowling.

Here are a few of the props after I sprayed the tips in white as a base for the following yellow. This makes a nice surface and helps the yellow to pop.

In this photo you can see the remaining 3 wings that have been filled in. The 5 props have also had the tips painted white. Now its a waiting game for the putty to dry before sanding on the wings...

Here are the remaining three elevator / stabilizer assemblies. One set has already been installed on a fuselage.

This last picture shows the fuselage with the tail feathers glued in place. All of the seams have been sanded and smoothed except for the ones ahead of the cockpit. That will get done next.

Overall it was a very productive day at the "Iron Works" or as Bernard called it, "The modelers Bethpage".

I'm calling it a day...

Comments encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Cat's alive that's a lot of work going on there. Looking good as usual.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Great amount of work on the go Louis. It is all looking fantastic and the cats are coming to live. Quite some work with all the filling and sanding and I'm sure it is worth the effort with the different types you're building. All the cockpits look great and it sure makes a nice historic production line.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom and Ferry for the compliments. Building these 'Cats in traditional Iron Works assembly line fashion has been working rather well for me.

More progress was made today at the Iron Works.

I painted the prop tips yellow.

And have four airframes almost ready for the paint shop.

As soon as I go over the filled in areas with some more primer just to be sure that all of the imperfections were dealt with that is.

Then I have to build up and install the landing gear and canopies and we are off to the spray booth.

These Cats really went together fast on the assembly line.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I just realized that I didn't have the 45 degree side letters "DF" for the Daytona Beach NAS Hellcat. Judging from the several photos I have in books of Hellcats stationed in Florida during the War, it looks like they used a 24 inch tall letter and number combination on the fuselage sides of most planes.

So I found a set of properly sized letters and purchased them online a few minutes ago. They should arrive soon...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Whose lettering ?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Glad the line didn't have to be shut down!

• Profile Photo

The decals were made by a company called "Fantasy Printshop". I bought several different sets of 1/48 scale numbers in the white color that were from them earlier. I'll let you know how they work.

I'm glad the assembly line was not affected too bad too !