3 Hasegawa F6F Hellcats, #1 Daytona Beach NAS 1944-45, #2 Blue Angels Bird, #3 Target Tow or Drone

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F6F, Hasegawa, Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Good news ! The decals arrived today ...

Now I should hopefully have no problems with the Daytona Beach NAS markings.

I plan on doing something with these four Cats over the next few days.

• Profile Photo

Today was a very busy day at the "Iron Works"...

Started off by building 4 drop tanks. Two will go in the spare Hellcat parts box for the next build. Two were installed.

Next I concentrated on building up the landing gear. Here I have three sets done, all with the gear doors installed.

However, photographs show that most (if not all) of the Hellcat's stationed at Daytona Beach Naval Air Station had the main landing gear doors removed. So I followed suit and left them off.

If you are following along and use this as a building guide, I found an easy way to attach the front gear doors. It's super easy and may actually be the way Hasegawa intended, but the instructions are a little vague here.

I simply glued the door in place before inserting the main landing gear. By doing this in this manner, you have tons of work room.

Otherwise if you wait until after you have installed the main gear, it is pretty difficult installing the door once the gear has been glued in place... yep... I did that.

Here you can see how the front gear doors look installed.

Just like George Henderson stated earlier, (and provided in several photos at the beginning of this build log), the target tow plane had a tall tail wheel strut. It is hard to tell, but the arrestor hook may have been removed too. But one thing for sure is that the tail wheel assembly couldn't be retracted due to the extra length... Thanks again George !

So I cut up the kit tail wheel assembly, removed a few bits, and added a length of plastic rod to replicate the taller tail wheel strut. Here's how it looks installed.

I will have to modify the tail wheel strut on the drone version too... unless I can find a photo of one that hasn't had the modification done to it yet.

Here's the collection of Cat's as they appear now... Two have drop tanks. The Daytona NAS and Blue Angels plane do not.

The Cats are up on their legs now...

If you look close, you will see that the area ahead of the pilot behind the windscreen has been painted flat black.

I still have a few small parts left to glue in place, and the canopies need to be installed as well.

Then it shouldn't be too much longer, and these Cats will be going to the paint shop !

Thanks for following along... I'll leave you with my normal sign off:

"As usual, comments are encouraged."

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Coming along nicely Louis, now don't get carried away and paint them all the same color, "blue" !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Good one Allan ! 🙂 Love the picture too... Is it one of yours ?

I did some research and I'm leaning towards painting the Blue Angels plane with "Insignia Blue" which is a little lighter than "Dark Sea Blue" which is what the dash 5 Cat's left the Grumman factory in.

I also found where the words "US NAVY" may have been under each wing as well. Nothing was visible on the top side of the wings in the few pictures I have found.

Thanks for posting the inspirational picture Allan.

• Profile Photo

Today I installed the clear canopies, and made a new fin mounted antennae cable mounting for the one plane that it was missing from which happened to be the Blue Angels Cat. Too bad the canopies don't fit in the open position very easily. You can still see the details inside the cockpit fairly well though. I'll try to grab a few Squadron vacuum formed sets for the remaining F6F's in the stash.

Here's a neat little row of Grumman's

The same group but this time the picture is from the other end of the line up...

In this picture you can see the minor differences. drop tank / or none, side rear windows or none

Landing gear doors or none, wing guns or none, cowling exhaust bulge or none... etc.

I also sprayed the props. They are almost ready for installation. I have an extra prop ready for the next Hellcat build.

With a little masking on the canopies and we are off to the paint shop...
    I'm getting excited now...

as usual, comments are encouraged.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans.

• Profile Photo

Yes Louis it's mine, dark sea blue with metallic gold alps printed Draw decals, hard to get underside pic's, I don't think any of the blues have markings on wing tops, happy to help.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very Nice Allan ! Your plane looks great ! (as do all of your builds)

Your photos have inspired me to paint the Blue Angels plane first. So I got cracking on it and here's the results so far:

Right after the air brush was cleaned up... The blue paint is still drying here.

While it was drying, I decided to try something new for me on a Hellcat. I drilled out the exhaust. It was very tedious work, and probably will not be too noticeable once the whole thing is done.

The exhaust after I painted them. I used a toothpick to paint the inside of the pipes in a dark gray color. It was still wet here and is shining some. That's why the insides of the pipes look white in some small spots. It's simply light shining off the wet paint.

This photo shows the exhaust installed. If you look really close, you can see a little of the exhaust pipes...the dark gray is still wet and appears shiny.

After removing the masking, I installed the propeller. This is how it looks right now in this photo below.

I decided to use "Insignia Blue", after I found an article on the web about the original colors of the first Hellcats used by the Angels. To this day, and to the best of my knowledge, no one knows for sure the "exact" color these planes were...

Butch Vooris the man who started the Blue Angels, and was the #1 lead plane pilot, stated in an interview that he had the planes painted in a lighter color than what the planes were delivered in from Grumman. He said the color was a stock Navy color, and that they didn't use it anymore.

So I made an educated "best guess" and went with Insignia Blue. That color was not needed anymore since the dark blue back ground for the US insignias were no longer being painted on. By now all of the Navy planes were being delivered in Dark Sea Blue.

Here's the difference between the two colors: Dark Sea Blue is on the bottle on the left side of this picture below. Insignia Blue is on the right. It appears to be lighter, but is still fairly dark. But it fit the description, so I went with it.

Am I correct ? Who knows, but I think I'm pretty close.

I still need to spray some gloss clear over the entire plane. All I had was "Flat" Insignia Blue, so I made it work. I will have to spray several coats of gloss clear before the decals go on.

That's all for tonight. Thanks again Allan for posting up some pictures of your 'Cat.

As usual, comments are encouraged... signing off.

• Profile Photo

Production line is going well, improved exhausts, insignia is a little more blue than dark sea but similar reflectance. I look forward to the end results !

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Nice update on the Iron Works! I have a hard enough time keeping two builds going and not getting confused, I can't imagine doing for of the exact same aircraft at the same time, and not lose sanity! I noticed the markings on the wings to keep things sorted...that would be the minimum I would need!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind words Allan.

Greg, it is a little confusing trying to keep the details straight ! Especially when there are four different planes, and each one has minor differences. I found it was easy to make a small paper list that corresponded with each plane. I kept the list in the model box the kit came in. The yellow tape tabs were another means to keep them separated... otherwise it may have been easy to accidentally install an option that the plane wasn't supposed to have, (or remove one).

I just finished spraying the glossy "Dark Sea Blue" on the Daytona Beach NAS plane.

Here's the Daytona Beach plane next to the Blue Angels one to show the difference between the two colors.

I still need to spray some gloss over the flat Insignia Blue on the Angels plane.

I will leave the Daytona one set for a few days to allow the paint to set up. Gloss Blue has a very bad tendency to leave finger prints if it's not totally dry. (please don't ask me how I know this).

As per my usual sign off,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I have been very fortunate to be able to work on my four Cat's during this Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. Today has been especially productive.

I just finished spraying the base colors for the Target Tow dash 5. I also found a decent photo of one that is in these same colors as the Hasegawa kit, but from a different unit. So I have to piece together the letters on the rudder and fin. Other than that I'm good to go.

I didn't even have to modify the tail wheel or the antennae on the fin.

Before you spray yellow, I have found it is best to cover the base with a coat of white. Yellow is a very translucent color and it takes quite a few coats to get thorough coverage. By spraying the white down first, you save yourself a lot of time and paint materials. Plus I believe that you get a better finish too.

So here is the "Target Tow" F6F-5 with the base coat of white. I happened to use Model Master RLM 21 white is a semi gloss and dries fairly quick, making it a decent choice for a base.

Here's the same plane after a few light coats of yellow.

It's amazing how the yellow pops !

I'll let this one dry overnight, maybe even longer. Then I'll paint the red orange rudder and wing stripes next.

The final color will be the engine gray on the fuselage.

This final picture shows the colorful 'Cats as they look right now:

OK, I'm done for the day. Calling it quits for now.

Signing off, Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I gave the Blue Angels Cat a few coats of Future. It still needs to dry considerably before I think about adding another coat.

On a down side, it looks like I fogged up the canopy... 🙁

Here's how it looks now... still drying...

and I parked the Daytona Beach NAS plane next to the Blue Angels bird to show the difference between the two colors now. It's amazing how the clear coat brought the blue to life...

Now the drone F6F needs a good coat of red...

comments are encouraged, approved and even doctor recommended 🙂

• Profile Photo

The angel looks even better now it's shinny, they all look nice, white under the red as well ? I have that canopy fogging at times, not sure why !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Allan!

The fogging of the clear parts is disappointing but I have to do something with it to fix the problem, so there's really no sense in complaining about it now. (even though I want too !) 🙂

Great minds think alike. I just sprayed the base coat of white on the drone in preparation for the red.

Now I need to decide on which number drone along with what color tail to match.

Part of this decision is making sure the one I choose is a dash 3 variant.

I've been thinking about numbers 7 and 19.

7 had a white tail so it would really be the easiest. But I'm not 100% sure that it was an early Cat. You can see it in the foreground of this picture. It very well could be an early Cat by looking at the windscreen.

19 has the International Orange tail and I think it's an earlier Cat so it may possibly fit the plan perfectly. It's slightly visible in the left side of this picture.

Decisions decisions. I have numbers for each one in the decal sheet.

I still have to modify the tail antenna before painting. It needs to have the cross brace added to make it look like the ones used on the drones.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

OK... so I went ahead and sprayed a few parts Insignia Red as the decal sheet instructions said... I thought OK, since the photos could have shifted colors some due to aging...

But it just didn't "look" right to me...

Here's the cowling in Insignia Red:

and the wheels:

So I went through the paints and found a red color that had more Orange in it. The color I decided to try was Chevy Engine Red, by Model Master.

I mixed some up... and sprayed a little on a wheel... Here's how it looks after spraying. The wheel on the left of this photo below has the Chevy color on it...

So it was natural to give the cowling a spray too...

Notice how it looks more Orange now?

I'm leaning towards the white tail #7 plane now, since there may not be enough color differences between the International Orange tail of #19 and the Chevy Engine Red. I wanted a big color contrast and number #19 just may not cut it...

What do you all think ?

Thanks for looking, and comments are encouraged...