3 Hasegawa F6F Hellcats, #1 Daytona Beach NAS 1944-45, #2 Blue Angels Bird, #3 Target Tow or Drone

Started by Louis Gardner · 121 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F6F, Hasegawa, Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

This morning it was decal time for the Target Tow plane.

They went on pretty good considering that they are the Hasegawa provided kit decals.

One stuck to the paper and didn't want to release. It ended up splitting into a few pieces.

Overall I am happy with the way it looks now. I just wish Hasegawa manufactured a set of decals where the white color was actually a brighter white.

The newer kit decals by Hasegawa seem to be better.

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 3 months ago:

These last two Cats are looking good Louis, very color-full, almost finished !

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great Louis. Can’t wait to see the colorful 3 cats together. .

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the kind words...

I have been sick over the last few days. I went to the Mecum Auto Auction in Kissimmee, and that was it. Down for the count... Feeling better now, since I saw a doctor and got some medicines...

I finally felt good enough to do a little work on the remaining 'Cats.

Tonight I sprayed on a coat of Future to seal in the decals...

So for now, here's a picture of two of them together.

Calling it a day at the Iron Works... Not much progress but I'll take it.

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

My future never looks as glossy. What do you thin it with if at all?

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks spectacular, Lou! Show worthy birds, for sure!

• Profile Photo

Yes looking good Louis !

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments on these builds.

Mark, when I first sprayed on the Future I thinned it with 70 % rubbing alcohol. After letting it dry overnight I went back and sprayed on two wet coats of straight Future not thinned. It dries out to be a very glossy shine.

I don't know if these Cats are show worthy but thanks Jeff.

Thank you too Allan.

Today I finished up the Target Tow plane. I added some exhaust staining, touched up the engine and flattened out the finish on the wing walk areas.

The last bit was to paint the tail wheel and add the antenna cable.

If I have time later tonight I will post it in the headlines section.

As usual comments are encouraged.

* UPDATE *****

I just posted this one in the Headlines section.

Here's a link to the article:

1/48 Hasegawa “Year of the Cat” F6F-5K Hellcat “Target Tow / Drone “
    Thanks again for looking...
  • Profile Photo

Well all things must eventually come to an end. And such is this journey of building four Hellcat planes.

Tonight I finished the Drone plane. Good old number seven. The last things I did with this one was to build the cruciform antenna mast and add some antenna cables as shown in this photo below.

I also added the black wing walk areas, then painted the hand hold and wing access covers black. Once I add some exhaust staining this one is good as done.

Here's how it looks right now.

Hopefully some time tomorrow I'll post an article about this one.

Thanks again for following along with this build log.

Take care and as usual,

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

They all look pretty good to me Louis, four jobs well done, meeooooww ! are you glad they're finished ? you can get onto something else now !

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Awesome! That's an over-used word, but I mean it! The 1st one is gorgeous and the one I think of as "Big Red" is just as nice. Matter of fact, that's my favorite paint scheme ever. Especially since you chose the tail color I would have ... white, rather than one of the other colors.

• Profile Photo

Hey Allan,
    Thanks for the compliments and for cheering me along during the builds. I am happy that these are finished. Now I can concentrate on finishing up the ones I have started for the Kasserine Pass GB... Then it's on to the 100 Years of the RAF next ! I have a new Airfix BP Defiant that was the random award provided by Martin and his crew a little over a Year ago. It's been calling my name...

Thanks Jeff. It was good talking with you yesterday. Last night I took some pictures of "Big Red", and will post them up later today if things go as planned. I chose the tail color since the base coat of paint on the plane was white, I had the proper decals for Number #7, and it was a great contrasting color to go with the orange / red. So it was the most logical choice for me.

Now I'm very happy with the decision as it really pops...

Please stay tuned as I will post an article about the last 'Cat, and add a link to it here once it's done.

Thanks again for following along with me on this journey...

Take care.

• Profile Photo

I love the orange red one as well. I think the color just pops. It will all look good decorating your shelves. Look forward to your next build.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Beautiful colourful cats, Louis. One of these days (the 'modeler's lament') I am going to paint one of these cats in tiger shark stripes, a white underbelly, with a shark mouth...

I've been 'binge reading' your WIP and loving it. And What A Stash. As someone said in this forum, 'I'm not sure I want more models in my stash than I could build before I die' (sounds like a country song).

That said, with the prodigious output of the 'Gardner Ironworks' you've got a few thousand kits to go...

Brilliant work, Louis. Kid's got game.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Mark, the shelves are starting to fill up with Hellcats... 🙂 which is a good thing.

David, Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy build journal. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed it. You may have just started the next Country and Western hit song with those lyrics. 🙂 Now break out the guitar and Viking helmet bud...

The Gardner Iron Works has a few more assembly line builds coming up in the very near future, so please stay tuned my friends... I hope to get most of my stash built before I check out... So the stash count was down by four, but I added one more. Progress is progress.

But I just ordered the new ICM 1/48 scale Heinkel He-111... it looks like a great new kit.

I have a few builds currently underway in the Kasserine Pass GB. They will be the next to complete.

Here's a link to the completed posting of the last Drone:

1/48 Hasegawa “Year of the Cat” F6F-3K Drone
    Thanks again everyone for reading this. It has been a fun trip indeed... I sincerely hope that you all have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed building them... OK , I'll stop rambling on now.