Grumman Tigercat

Started by Morne Meyer · 28 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 6 years, 8 months ago:

AS they say in the state of Maine. " That's wicked!"
    Very interesting stuff there, Morne

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Paul. Currently the work on the Tigercat has slowed down as I had to relocate twice in a month and I have finally settled into a new house so work on this Grumman feline can continue.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks VERY much Morne! Now I understand- very nice- just a little extra work and a big improvement as a result!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Oh man, that's gonna be a beauty Morne! Looking forward to more. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Great work, and wonderful to see the improvements you have made. Thanks for sharing, it's all inspiring for the I want to build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. I will have to replace the engine that will be displayed open as I made some errors which will necessitate a whole engine rebuild and will have to build an engine mount that protrude through the firewall. When scratch building you always risk opening old Pandora's box!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

I opened "Pandora's Box" recently when I started scratch building the cockpit in my Dr-1 "Voss" Tri-plane. I had to go back and forth several times to get things to fit. But my scratch building is amateurish compared to your work Morne. You definitely have some skills !
    I'm sure that your 'Cat will turn out extremely well. Thanks for the updates...and please keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! The scratch building bug bit me hard when I started a SAAF Bristol Beaufighter in 1/48 scale and decided to completely rebuild the interior of the aircraft. You can look at the WIP photos on WORK IN PROGRESS (AIRCRAFT) group here on Imodeler.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Keep up the good work Morne, coming along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Well Morne, I'm really liking your revised wing scoops. Much better appearance and they don't look terribly difficult to do. I may do this on my -2 I have in the stash! Now since you're a lover of the Tigercat, you may want to build one in 1/32! (I try to stay in 1/48, but planes special to me get a 1/32 version as well if available.) HPH has an excellent F7F coming up if not already released. It's a resin kit, but from working on their Il-28 I can tell you they are a dream to build! I would think only Fisher Model and Pattern (who's 1/32 F7U I really want) makes a better resin kit! They have photos on their website of a kit knocked together with no filler or paint so you can get a sense of the fit and finish. (Not Tamiya, but still very good!)

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I will definitely have a look at that! I have the Cutlass from Fisher in the stash and it IS A BEAUTY! The wing intake scoop are very easy to replicate and enhance the overall appearance!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Just on their site. The HPH Tigercat is released (and rumblings of a 1/48 B-36!) although reviews state the landing gear leave a little to be desired. Jealous of that Cutlass you have! I also see he did an Alfa Romeo B.A.T. in 1/25 among some 70's racing Ferraris! (Would also like to have his 1/24 Bugatti 100P!)

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

1/48 B 36. The Monogram 1/72 is ENORMOUS. I have two B36's in the stash. 1/48 would be GIGANTIC and require its own room!