iModeler

Gypsy 203 (22 posts)

• Looking forward to the new photos. I’ll bet it looks stunning, as it looked good before.

• And now, an update.
    First off, there was mucho masking to be done…

Then, it was time to give this stuff a try.

This stuff was recommended to me by modeling friend Robin Powell, from Poole, Dorset. He said this stuff was the best of the masking-like putties he’s tried. I found it in Aisle 44 of a Michael’s Crafts store.
    Here it is during initial trials…

Now, i forgot to take any photos of the adhesive tack laid in place, with extra masking filling in on top and behind it. But, i DID take photos of the fuselage with the gull gray applied and the masking removed.

Thats all i have for now. The radome needs a repaint before i can mask off and paint the forward fuselage, and i found some seams on the back end above the tailplanes that bother me so much i cant let em slide. So, i’ll be doing some major sanding (and re-painting) on the back end.
    Thanks for tuning in. Until next week,
    Same Bat-Time
    Same Bat-Channel

• 3M plastic tape is one of my scribing guides of choice in my arsenal, but it really depends a lot on the tool you are using for scribing with.
    Many scribing tools are modified dental instruments, that have a pretty big surface partially intended to “cut” and these have a tendency to push the tape aside like a drunken sailor walking up to the bar. I use a needle in a pin vise, and it works more to “scrape” away the plastic rather than scoop it out and it nestles up nicely alongside the tape and usually does not jump over it or push it aside. However, it takes a light touch and a steady hand. My technique may not be suitable for all people but it works well for me, especially for 72nd scale.

• David your Tomcat is looking better each time I see an update………….. That adhesive tack stuff works great doesn’t it ??? My friend Rick Wilkes told me about it and I try to keep some on hand at all times now……………… Thanks for the updates……………I’m tuning in next week on the same Bat Channel.

• Good tip on the masking putty. Coming along well.

• The forward fuselage is painted now; snapped a few pics but i need to re-shoot the model. I’m presently doing touch-up painting and i broke the R/H tailplane pivot. Fortunately i already broke the L/H one, so i know how to fix it.
    -d-

• This really looks good and thanks for the “tips.” There’s learnin’ goin’ on here!