Jaguar XJ220

Started by Richard Mcstay · 28 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks very much gentlemen!

I've been a bit preoccupied with the Su-34 recently so I didn't do much work on the Jag, but it's got my full attention now!

I've not really put a great deal of effort into painting areas that won't be seen on the final model. The brake discs will be completely concealed behind those big wheel hubs so I just gave them a quick spray of chrome as called for in the instructions. This must be back in the day before brake discs were ceramic... How did we ever get by?

With the engine attached to the chassis the next step is to focus on the interior, and Google images has came to the rescue once again! The interiors seem to be either grey or blonde leather, with the exception of some custom finishes. When I'm building a car or bike, I normally like to ignore the instructions build it to my own spec. I think customising your vehicles is the best part of automotive building in fact! And indeed the only time I will realistically be able to decide what colour seats and trim I would like in my LaFerrari...

But this car is a classic, and I wan't to keep it accurate so I went for the grey leather interior, probably the one I would choose if I owned the car. The interiors all seem to be a shiny leather, and look fairly retro by today's standards. I used a variety of greys to achieve different shades ( carefully worded as not to draw reference to that ridiculous book ) and finished with a light once over of gloss.

Google images was really handy actually for the dashboard. You get a decal for the speedometer and dials but I hand painted the rest.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Great work, Richard!

• Profile Photo

Thanks very much Jeffry!
    I've got a bit more done on the Jag, the dashboard is in place and I think I'll leave it at that for the interior. The doors are shut on the final model so there should be enough detail for viewing through the glass. The interior fits on nicely and seems to dry fit in the shell okay too which is always a bonus.

• Profile Photo

I think that is pretty much it for the interior. On with the shell next.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Richard.

• Profile Photo

Thanks mate!

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I've made a start on the body work. Not too much progress though as I've been trying to juggle this with the H2R build and a couple of new playstation games!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

You did a fantastic job on the interior and engine Richard. All becoming a very nice cat now. Looking forward to the progress in the body work.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks very much Ferry, the progress has been slow though but I've got over a hurdle.

Remind me never again to attempt a car with this much glass and no available masks... That's my best effort, not perfect but it will have to do!

A lot of the decals didn't work neither unfortunately. They must have been sat in a box for years and years. They just fell to pieces when I put them in water. Also the metal jaguar sticker for the rear of the car would not come off the film no matter how hard I tried.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Masking window frames, tell me about it. At least you haven't got the trouble of trying to paint the moulded frames on the bodywork (like most Porsches) which is more difficult in my opinion. It all looks pretty neat, Richard.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Cheers George my friend, and thanks for that email a while back. I'm going to use it now as reference for the final article. Definitely only masks from here on in! Well it's done, sort of happy with it.. Better start typing the article.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Richard your Jag turned out to be a real masterpiece ! The paint finish is very stunning. All of the little details really make this one pop !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Lovely cat Richard.