Kitty Hawk `1/48th Sepecat Jaguar GR.1, RAF, Operation Granby

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 77 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Starting with the seat we start the process of assembling. Looking forward to what lies ahead hearing some of the negative stuff in how this kit goes together. Well if you worked on a Monogram kit some can be labor intensive but in the end a great model comes about. I think with the new generation high tech kits and their over engineering makes an easier build. Some are disappointed with the amount of work that needs to be put into the newer kits and not easier especially with the fiddly bits and pieces. The seat is of 3 pieces to start with and simple to assemble. The cushion is painted Life Color Olive Drab, the sides are painted Tamiya Flat Black. Next using Eduards PE zoom set I install the seat belts and eject handle. Once that is done next to work on the cockpit tub and install the side PE side consoles, along the way silver pencil is use for some wear areas on the floor. I test fit the rear bulkhead and seat into the tub. Glad I did as the location of the rear bulkhead is vague in the instructions when it is time to install in the forward fuselage. Put that aside and next to apply the PE instrument panel on the kit panel. Also to paint the control stick handle before installing that into the tub. So far parts are going together well, no issues with fitment and alignments seat fits in the tub perfect, tight but not in a way to force it in. A little wash is applied on the bulkhead and tub to bring out some details.

Next time we finish up with the nose gear bay. Thanks for viewing.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Next up is assembling the nose gear bay. Clean up the area where I will attach a PE control panel with in the bay. Detail the area with a wash and next attach the side walls. Some minor warpage ws encountered but easily rectified with some cement applied and the correct alignment was achieved. Here at this point there are some pins under the cockpit which at first I thought were part of the mounts to align the cockpit floor with the nose gear bay. They actually have to be removed. No where in the instructions sheet mentions this. But then again an experienced modeler will should recognize to remove them. Next to test fit the gear bay to the cockpit floor and in the meantime get the correct alignment of the bay itself. There is really no way around leaving the nose gear off with the gear bay assembled, the leg is sandwiched by the locating pins on the side of each bay wall. The nose gear strut is quite strong and the locating pin is positive once the cement sets. Next install the other side wall and this portion of the build is completed.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Taking shape!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg your is coming along quite well also.

• Profile Photo

After finishing up the nose gear portion, I test fit the assembly to RH fuselage half and then taped the LH side half to check alignment and noticed that a portion of the cockpit tub extended beyond the rear edge of the nose section. Didn't seem right to me. So I taped the rear fuselage section and test fitted the nose and I was correct, it would not fit right. Checking to make sure the tub was fully set in place as far up as it should go. It was so my solution was to just trim off the excess plastic which what is was. And that took care of that. I also have notice the locating pins and slot fitment into the locating holes are very tight and need some trimming to sit properly. Otherwise you have to force in. For the most part so far despite that, once I overcome these little annoyances the parts will fit ok. Just take your time and be patient with this. Next up is the avionics bay in the nose. This fits on the LH side of the nose and went in with no issues. Good fit here. At this time a nose weight was placed right behind the bay. I will leave the smaller compartment open and will have the main bay door closed. And with great happiness the door fit into the opening very well. I added the PE electronic boxes into small compartment only. A minor gap only that I will fix when we get to the seam clean up process. Next up to finally assemble the nose by closing it all up. Everything sealed nicely as the cement set. To complete this portion of the nose assy was by attaching the Instrument panel coaming to it's location over the instrument panel. Again the locating pins were very tight here. With that I put the nose aside and next up is the rear fuselage section. So far so good. Accept for the tightness of some of the location pins and slots, not really fighting this at all. Lots of parts but nothing that is difficult yet. More to follow.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Wow! They even included electronics bays!? I think my old Airfix kit is going to become a ceiling hangar! I like the cockpit section on the stand. Looks like it's going to a cockpit fest! It would be neat to paint it and make some stairs and a platform just for some photos before the model is done!

• Profile Photo

This kit has all kind of internal goodies. Which can make it kind've labor intensive if your not careful. So far though it's the build is going well. Some minor issues but nothing that can easily be overcome.

• Profile Photo

Now time to work on the main fuselage starting with the internal components. Again everything in this phase have been prepainted. Starting with the internal gun compartments. Each side removed and placed in their location with in the fuselage halves. The fit is good here. No gaps. Next the main gear and dive brake bays. The internal components will go into the dive flap compartment. MM Non buffing steel and MM Gun metal. Those pieces to the side for a moment and next to assemble the main gear bays. Instructions call to install the landing gear in this step. I elected not to and will do so after painting. A little black before assembly the 3 parts that make up each gear bay. Again the fit is good. One thing I was worried about was alignment issues and when time to close the fuselage things would not allow it to close correctly. But so far after each step I slap the other side together and they close fine as it should. After assembling the gear bays, I install each one into both fuselage halves. Again no gaps good fit here. Next installing the dive brake compartments and install the pumps in each one. Then install the cannon in each of their bays as well. Now time to assemble the engine bays. Kind of a nifty process on this kit. made up of 4 pieces. The fit was ok but I think I will run into an issue when it comes down to installing the filler between the engines down the road. Builds up nicely otherwise and then installed into the LH fuselage half. This is the final internal component to complete, time to slap the halves together. I just cemented the bottom seam and left the upper seam alone at this time. I decided to also add a little more weight to make sure it will sit on the gear not on the tail. The instructions will continue on to complete the entire rear section before installing the nose. I decided to install the nose at this time. Prior testing showed to be a very tight fit. So to save any problems down the road I decided to install it now. Besides it will be easier to clean up the seams at this stage. But she is taking shape at this point. Also the upper seams were glued and the fit of the nose is pretty good though a little clean up will be needed but nothing major. More to follow.

26 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

You have been very busy my friend ! And the progress you have made looks great !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis progress is steady on this kit, Being my first ever attempt of a Kitty Hawk kit, it has been ok so far. Some glitches here and there but nothing that can be overcome. The detail is good. Parts fit especially the internal components which if not done correctly then it won't come out very well. The instruction sheet is vague in some areas. But building so many aircraft over the years you can still manage. And besides this is the 3rd Jag I am building but the first in this scale. Still base on prior builds it helps when tackling a little more labor intensive project such as this one. In the end looking forward to finishing before Thanksgiving.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Now with the nose and main fuselage coupled as a single unit, time to work on the rear section. 1st some seam work as at this point it is easy to work those areas to clean up the work done so far. No wings or tails in the way for some sanding. Next to work on the rear lower section in adding the lower panel between the engines. First big hiccup encountered here. So far everything to this point has lined up and fallen into place. But her we have a sizeable gap to fill with a slight step. I will work on this later. Next the filler panels are installed towards the extreme end of the tail. Fit is ok here. A little filler and clean up here nothing major. Now moving on forward a bit, I will next install the intakes. Instead of being a one piece unit, they are in 2 halves which works in this case in which I can manipulate the parts into an easy seamless part once installed. This cat is slowly starting to look like a Jag. More to follow.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looks great Chuck. Do I spy a Tamiya Ki-46 and a Mustang in the back ground ?

The Testor's little bottle of "chromate yellow" looks the part for sure. Coming right along.

• Profile Photo

Good eye also the Lancaster as well. The Dinah is progressing well. The Mustang is now finished and will do a presentation of it as well as Tamiya's MiG-15 later this month. I am also starting the F4U Birdcage Corsair so a few projects going on in the pipeline.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Fantastic work Chuck. The cat is coming along very nice. Quite some weight you had to put in the nose I noticed on one of the photos.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry, coming along slowly. Lot of parts in this kit. But enjoying the build and progress so far.