Kitty Hawk `1/48th Sepecat Jaguar GR.1, RAF, Operation Granby

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 77 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck I see this cat is starting to show her fangs. Keep posting.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis and Tom, the fangs of battle so to speak.

• Profile Photo

Now to clean up that seam under the engines. First scrap plastic is inserted and trimmed to fill the gap. Using a file to trim it down, sanded and filled with putty. I't won't be perfect, there will be a slight step that will remain, but it will be hard to notice once it is smoothed over. Good enough for me. Next fix the tail, my solution for this is to cut and splice. First overlay the GR.1 upper portion of the tail over the attached tail on the kit. Mark and prepare to cut the original tail.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now to clean up that seam under the engines. First scrap plastic is inserted and trimmed to fill the gap. Using a file to trim it down, sanded and filled with putty. I't won't be perfect, there will be a slight step that will remain, but it will be hard to notice once it is smoothed over. Good enough for me. Next fix the tail, my solution for this is to cut and splice. First overlay the GR.1 upper portion of the tail over the attached tail on the kit. Mark and prepare to cut the original tail. Next cut the tail off and smooth over the cut area to accept the replacement tail section. Next to attach the tail section and check for alignment and set. Then put it aside for awhile. And will smooth over the seam and clean it up later on in the build. This should work out ok. More to follow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

The surgery looks to be spot on... Very nice Chuck. I'll bet it turns out perfect.

I also just happened to spy a pretty good looking Birdcage F4U in the back ground and a very big Lancaster ... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Very tidy work, Chuck, I'm sure you'll be the only person who knows those seams exist.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Louis, I like those candid photos of peoples' work benches, too.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I like what you've done Chuck, seam or no seam.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Louis, I am quite satisfied how it turned out. Small strakes will be installed right along the seam which will cover most of it. Yes the Tam Lancaster will be worked on for the RAF build, been dormant for quite a while. The Corsair is a fresh WIP.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George and those who followed the WIP as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, don't get how Kitty Hawk ended up having the tail not available as one piece, or I missed something. Incredible!

• Profile Photo

Quick update, found the correct ECM pod, ALQ-119 shallow as used by the Jag during Desert Storm. Painted the Aim-9's Glossy Lt Grey and decaled one of the bombs. Will use only one, the other station will have a rocket pod instead. Images of that to follow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Coming along nicely Chuck, keep up the good work !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

The ordnance is looking good Chuck. It's the little things like that stenciled bomb that makes it stand out from the rest.

Well done Sir!

• Profile Photo

Time to add the final detail bits on the air frame and finally get this ready for paint. Starting at the exhaust area, a small part to fill in a hole under the tail. Right at the end of the tail hook. Next the PE tail hook itself which is from the kit. Quite flimsy to apply. I can see ripping this off if not careful. Next to install the nose, which is a clear piece. First I got a piece of aluminum foil, with the shiny side up. Placed the nose on top and traced around it to form the inside of the clear section. Using white glue to attach the foil to the nose piece and then attach it to the fuselage. Next is to attach the HUD to the IP coaming and then the windshield. Let that sit for a bit. Before temporarily attaching the canopy. Once the canopy is attached. Again let it set before masking if off. Still a bit more to do before we lay some paint. More to follow.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.