Kitty Hawk `1/48th Sepecat Jaguar GR.1, RAF, Operation Granby

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 77 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This session is to install the PE tail strakes to the tail. Very fine and delicate work to install these carefully. The hardest part actually is to make sure they are aligned to each other on both sides of the tail. Using super glue here takes some patience. Somehow I was able to pull it off. Just eyeballing it when installing the 2nd one on the RH side of the tail. Next a little more work on the ordnance. First airbrushing Vallejo steel on the rocket pod main body. Install the fins on the drop tank. Mask off the noses of the Sidewinders to get them ready to paint the seeker heads.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This session I will pre shade the Jag, finally getting down to the nitty gritty. Using Tamiya Flat Black to first go around the canopy framing nefore hitting the panel lines. I had did some prior pre-shading along the build process when I had some black in the airbrush, so it didn't take as long doing the overall air frame. Next was to mask off the rocket pod and ALQ jamming pod. Now I will use Xtracolor Enamel for the Desert Pink. fun to use and it remains glossy when it dries which is all day. It was a cold day so normally it is not a good thing to paint under 69 degrees, paint just does not flow well out of the airbrush, so with the heater on I gave it a go. I started with the drop tank, then the Phimat Pod, ALQ jammer. Before starting at the bottom of the Jag. The paint was flowing but did spray with a bit of orange peel. What's really cool with Xtracolour is that once it dries it is hard and easy to mask. It also eliminates the clear glossy stage for the decal application process. I had thought i mixed enough in the bottle but ran out, which is ok, i can finish the top of the aircraft tomorrow after letting it sit overnight to dry and harden. Beside I noticed a couple of issues that I need to fix once seeing this initial paint session. At least was able to airbrush the Desert Pink on the other bits and pieces that are still on the sprue such as the stabs, gear doors, gun ports and dive brakes etc. Now carefully moving the Jag to a spot where it can sit and dry overnight with out leaving a fingerprint somewhere. I use Alclad steel to paint the pylon mounting jacks and the ends of the Rocket Pod. Next MM Gun Metal for the AIM-9 seeker heads. Next session is to do some repairs and decal the ordnance. And complete the painting process. More to follow.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Wow they really hung a lot of ordnance on these didn't they ? Yours is coming to life right in front of us ! Looks good Chuck... Soon you will be putting the "stickers" on it...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years ago:

They did and were very effective in carrying out their mission. The Jaguar did very well in Desert Storm. A couple of minor things to take care of. But almost there.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Coming along nicely Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years ago:

Looking good!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan and Greg, it has been a challenging build. Almost there.

• Profile Photo

When I airbrushed the Desert Pink initially I ran out before I could finish the top side of the air frame. (what was in the bottle that is) The nose bothered me. It had an awful step and it looked obvious. So I decided to go over it again. Clean it up before I finished the rest of the paint job.

Since I was cleaning up the nose I also decided to go over the area between the dive brakes as this looked awful as well. Cleaned up here the step and seam and smoothed over a little more.

While the putty was setting, I went ahead and finished up the ordnance, pods and pylons. And just like the build it won't let me load the pics for this step. So moving right along. After going over the repairs I went ahead and finished up airbrushing the Desert Pink.

Now to let it sit over night as Xtracolour takes several hours to dry and harden. Mask off the tail and apply the steel around the engine nozzles. More to follow.

• Profile Photo

Now that the paint is dry sitting overnight. I mask off the rear lower section to airbrush the exhaust/hi temp area under the tail. Similar to the Phantom and F-101 in design. Vallejo acrylic Steel is applied with some highlights using Alclad Jet Exhaust along the overlaying panel lines.

Next at this time I will install the landing gear. Normally I will wait to do this process towards the end of the build. But being a little complicated with several parts that make up each gear, it will call for a lot of handling. So starting with the gear legs that will actually attached with in the gear bay are installed first.

What is really cool for a change, KH has made this part a solid secure attachment point with in the gear bay.

Next the nose gear, this main gear leg has been in place since the start of the build. Again this is also has been a positive part so far, strong bond into the nose gear bay. I left the lower portion off until I got to this point.

The next step is to attach the lower section of the gear leg which also has the axle for the nose wheel. Let that set as I next install the hydraulic pump in front of the nose gear leg.

I believe this pump helps with the gear bay door actuators.

Next the gun port exhaust panels are installed behind the gun muzzles.

Now that the main gear legs are solid I then installed the strut knuckles that will have the wheel mount axle assy's be attached to. These I will let set overnight. So far the attachment points are positive on all the gear, I feel confident that they will support the Jag's weight over time.

Just for this step it took all day. Lot of parts still left to attach on this Jag. More to follow.

• Profile Photo

While letting the landing gear set. It was a good time to apply the few decals that are on the Jag. Most of the stencils were over sprayed when the Desert Pink was applied for the theater of operations in the desert. Just national roundels and the serials as well as some important stencils around the nose. Not much in unit markings, other than the clever nose art that were applied in the field. Model Alliance Decal sheet will provide the markings.

As usual I first applied the national markings. The roundels were pink and blue and were applied on the RH wing upper and LH wing lower.

And each side of the nose. Lady Brittania was applied on the avionics door compartment.

Mission marks were commonly applied ahead of the LH intake. And that was basically it for the Jag in Operation Granby. It took about a couple of hours to apply all the decals, using the microscale system. Micro Set, Micro Sol. The decals went down smoothly. I didn't show much of the airframe, as I try to withhold the overall finish when it's time to introduce it when it is completed.

Next to complete the main gear assembly.

And then attached them to the axles. Now the tedious process of installing each wheel assy onto the strut, align and set in place again checking alignment

Thankfully the attachment point was solid and looks like it will withstand the weight of the model overtime. Unlike the Trumpeter Mig-23, already repaired a very fragile main gear.

What also helps will be 3 actuators that will help carry the load with one here about ready to be installed.

Finally both mains completed with all the actuators installed, alignment looks good at this angle. Now to let it sit overnight to let the cement set.

Next up complete the wheels and install the final bits. more to follow.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Coming along nicely Chuck !

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Looks great, Chuck! Sadly, I didn't see any of these during Desert Storm. I always thought (still do) that these Jags were a cool design and look very capable and deadly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allen battling along the way.
    Jeff: I didn't see any either, as we were based on the west coast of Saudi at the Tabuk Air base, which though did have an RAF Tornado Sqn based there with us. Those were some awesome fellows by the way.

• Profile Photo

With the decals all applied I would normally go ahead and apply the flat coat at this stage of the build. But first I decided to add a few components to the airframe before doing that. This way I can do it all in one shot by installing the flaps, slats and the compartment doors which are all glossy and will be easier to get everything airbrushed at one time. So starting with the flaps and slats.

Two flaps on the trailing edge of each wing are installed, no fuss no muss, all went on well, no overlaps for a change.

Same for the each slat. Attached to the leading edge of the wings, also installed the slat actuator piston as well. No warpage on either slat, good fit here as well.

Next up the main gear doors will be posed closed. Though I have seen these open as well when the Jag is parked. It depended how well they would fit. Which they did. Unlike the Gun service door which did not. The gear bays doors actually went in with very little trouble.

At this time I decided to complete the main wheel assy and attach the other half of the wheel/tire to the mains.

Next up the nose wheel.

Finally the dive brakes were installed, these again went in with a little patience. Install, set and now we can airbrush the Flat Finish.

Next session will be the final finish for this WIP. whew!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Looks like you just about have it wrapped up. The RAF wing Insignia... are they normally subdued like that or are they just sun faded ?

It's a fantastic build ... and I'll be looking forward to seeing your reveal.