Leopard Camo – Yellow 6 BF109 JG 27

Started by Paul Barber · 32 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you Louis, it is as done as it's going to be now. I will close up the cockpit by joining the fuselage halves and see what is still visible! Here are some detail shots of the photo-etch style cockpit. I have to admit to losing a couple of parts and replacing them from old photo-etch sprues in the spares box. But this is as close to the Eduard instructions as I could manage!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

If I didn't know better I would have thought this was a much larger 1/32 or even 1/24 scale '109 build, judging by how the details in the "office" turned out...Thanks for the updates my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Some progress - the etch experiment continues. The office is in the fuse now - some armour plating added. Some butchery on the wings and a brass hatch added too. It'll be interesting to see how it looks with a coat of primer and paint. As ever close up photography not very forgiving - it shows up the bits I need to fix!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good so far Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Fantastic work and amazing detail Paul. Cockpit is looking super!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I'm with Louis; this looks like a much larger scale with all the details added!

Beautiful work, Paul!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Beautiful detail - looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo

Some priming and painting done today - Christmas Holiday beginning to 'ease up' a little, so getting more done!

Tried a new primer - and a new technique - Vallejo surface primer - aqueous based acrylic-polyurethane primer 74.602. I like it a lot.

Some advantages were that it is very much self levelling; it goes into the airbrush straight out of the bottle; it goes on smoothly; there are no nasty fumes; and it cleans up very well. I found it also primed photo etch parts well.

Once the primer dried I went onto Hellblau (Vallejo air) straight out of the bottle - and used the black primer underneath it to show up panel lines and make some pre-shaded effects.

I also continued with the extensive photo etch experiment - here is a wheel with etch - still some tyre painting to do.

Hopefully this one makes it over the line before 2018!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I noticed that our LHS started carrying those paints you mentioned. I have been afraid to try acrylics on too many builds as I have had problems in the past with adhesion. I have had tape pull up the paint making a mess of things. But this very well could have been my error.

Your 109 looks very nice, and the PE bits look great. I have a few in the works that I'm trying to get done before the New Year too.

You can do it !

Merry Christmas my friend... and thanks for the updates on this gorgeous 109...

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis - I build so slowly things get a really long time to 'cure'! I haven't had too much problem with airbrush ready paints from Vallejo. My issue has been with building enough experience to know which paints work best with which thinners - so these pre-thinned colours are much easier options for me.

Anyway, enough of all that, thank you for a great year in group builds and of course way beyond that - all the best to you and yours - have a great Christmas!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

A little more progress - still in the hunt for a 2017 finish. Some leopard camo taking shape on the 109 now - and some detail painting taking place. The RLM 79 was painted using Vallejo Air - and then slightly highlighted using the Vallejo Panzer series - Africa Corps 'highlight' and flesh(!) highlight! Still a little rough around the edges - but getting there!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great Paul. You're on the home stretch now ! You can get it done before the New Year arrives. Well done Sir !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Louis - and yes I made it! New Year comes early in Australia, in terms of planet earth - so I had about 12 hours to spare!

I prefer my builds to have a bit of a story - so I changed to yellow 6 - more when the reveal is upon us.

Anyway - finished with pastel chalks, Tamiya panel line washes, some dust and and a little oil.

The jury is still out for me on photo-etch. Some I love, some frustrates me still!

Now for a desert wildcat/martlet...

One photo for now - more at the reveal!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Beautiful work my friend ! Love it ! and with 12 hours to spare ...

I'm looking forward to seeing your Martlet ...

Happy New Year buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That's a really good looking 109 Paul. Worth the effort I say.