Sikorsky S 70B 2 Seahawk, N24-015, HS 816 Sqn RAN HMAS Albatross NSW 1999.

Started by Allan J Withers · 71 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Italeri, RAN, Seahawk, Sikorsky, YotC
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Canopy on now, looking OK, starting to build up the radome.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like you have a regular helicopter assembly line going there Allan... with a PBY thrown in for good measure ! Still to this very day clear parts are not my strong point.

Looks great my friend...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis, a bit more work done on it's belly !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 2 months ago:

A bit more detail added !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hello Allan. I just noticed this posting. Sorry for the late reply. It's looking good but I have a question for you...
    What is the big round thing under the nose ?
    Some sort of radar?

And the six small round pieces just behind it ?

Are they submarine locating buoys ? The kind that are air dropped and used as a listening device ?

Just guessing on both ...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Louis, you got it, google "ran seahawk" for a brief description !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

In the previous pic' I have a piece of marked tape around the radar, now it has been drilled and I've added some sprue to simulate the bolts, also some slightly modified resin details on the nose and starting to frame the canopy.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Looks really good, Allan! I like the addition of the (as Louis put it) big round thing under the nose. Those bolts holding it on look very real. I got to ride in a Blackhawk once in my Army career. It's a really nice "Helluvacopter!"

Can't wait to see more. ALL your builds look great and this one should be, too.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Jeff, how long was your ride ? our Blackhawks are soon to be retired if not already !

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Allan, the ride lasted about a half-hour, as I recall. We were flying NOE so it was an exciting half-hour! NOE = Nap of the Earth. To add to the excitement, I was in the "seat" where the door gunner would sit, if guns were mounted. That type of flight iswhere the aircraft just skims over the ground, flying perhaps 10-20 feet (3-6 meters) to avoid ground radar signals. We had to go UP to fly OVER power lines! That flight was one of 4 REALLY exciting rides I had while in the Army. I flew a few more rides than these 4, but the others were pretty mundane, as if ANY flying could be considered "mundane!" Tankers generally don't get many flights in ANYTHING so ALL my flights were special, in one way or another. Allan, my last ride in a Blackhawk was probably ... uh, let's see .. around 1987 or 88. They ARE soon to be retired ... like me! LoL!
    What is the future of rotor-wing aircraft in the Army? Anyone? I only know that they're studying many dual control types - ones that can be remotely piloted like the drones. If the "Gee-Whiz" folks have their way, most - or all flights will be unmanned. I think this is a bad mistake. Certainly some flying could easily be done unmanned, but not every situation - especially in a combat environment.

Be that as it may, your Blackhawk is looking real good, my friend. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that informative reply Jeff, I doubt you would be taking a nap, sounds like FUN, what were your other flights in ? our Blackhawks are still in service, I'm sure I read somewhere they were due for retirement ! the subject of my Seahawk, N24-015 was WFS in December 2012.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years ago:

Great progress on another one your great helo builds.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Robert.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

Fantastic work Allan. I like how you add all the extra details to the helo. Another inspiring build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Ferry.