What a Hell....cat! (Heller 1/72)

Started by Paulo Castro · 25 · 5 years ago · 1/72, Hellcat, Heller
  • Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks mate

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Being a little busy and unable to work on this bird so far this week.
    Some more work to be done over the weekend (TGIF here)
    Cheers

• Profile Photo

Hi all! Just a note to say that I'm progressing with under wing scribing, it is taking longer than I had anticipated and some lines I had to re-done like 4 times.
    So bear with me!
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Scribing lines is something that can't be rushed. Take your time with it and the results will be very pleasing. Looks great so far ! Please keep us posted with updates. Thanks

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis
    Thanks for following. I'm feeling the pain. After I finished the under wing I looked carefully and I was not happy. I'll start it all over again.
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi all. Just a quick update to let you know I'm still building this bird. The problem is I have some other projects in final stages that I'm trying to finish so I can dedicate to finish this one. See you soon

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hello Paulo.
    I have been doing the same thing... finishing up started projects. No worries, please post your progress as usual, and an article on the finished plane in the headlines section when you are done. I will add it to the recap if the article has been posted. Also if you have a favorite photo of your finished model, please add it here.

http://imodeler.com/groups/year-of-the-cat/forum/topic/photos-for-the-recap-article-please-post-them-here/

I will be using the favorite photos as picked by the builder if they are available to me.

Thanks again for the updates...

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Hi all
    I'm sorry for not updating the WIP of this build but I've been busy with work and other model buildings.
    Nevertheless I have finished it.
    Please see the photos below.
    A few considerations though:
    I had some issues with some seams that were hard do cover even after several re-dos with super glue.

I've used only acrylic paints, mostly Gunze Acqueous Paint.

The decals were another challenge, due it's age they broke apart once in the water. Luckly I had two set of the decals, so I sprayed a coat of Lacquer clear coat and applied as usual. However, the decals were very transparent so I decided to double up them using the other set of decals, it was not perfect but better than originally.

Weathering was made using Tamiya accent panel lines, watercolours pencils and pastels.

Overall it looked good but not standing a chance in a model show.

I've tried to represent an aircraft part of the Flottille 1F operating on the French Aircraft Carrier Arromanches in Indochina circa early 50's.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Paulo,
    This Hellcat is a miniature work of art. Seriously, if I didn't know it was a 1/72 scale plane, I would believe it was a much larger 1/48 size bird. Thanks again for participating in our Group Build.

Soon I plan on writing an article with a recap of what we all built.

Thanks again ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for your kind words mate. Much appreciated.
    Regards