Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Seafire XV Kitbash
This article is part of a series:
An interesting if somewhat futile exercise in kitbashing a Supermarine Seafire XV:
This was made from the leftover wings from my Airfix Supermarine Seafire XVII and grafting it onto the modified fuselage of Airfix’s Supermarine Spitfire XII; plus resin casting all the necessary bits to make it a proper Seafire XV.
Had I actually finished this in 2011 then all well & good, however the project languished as soon as Special Hobby announced their Seafire XV. I decided to get it finished nevertheless late last year having already gone to so much trouble & effort, and completed it in January of 2014. Here, finally, are the pictures on iModeler.
The fit of the dissimilar plastic parts was excellent & bravo to Airfix for being remarkably consistent with the accuracy of their new tool kits.
Additional parts were cast using the Seafire XVII as the pattern master, which included the rocker covers,exhausts, air inlet under the sump, wing radiators, rudder, tail hook and catapult strops.
Additional dzus fasteners were drilled out on the engine covers and a few areas were re-scribed.
I also added a sutton harness courtesy of the Eduard set, scratch built the oxygen hose and added a resin gunsight.
Decals were a mix of spares from the kit (and yes they annoyingly silvered, note to self they need to be applied dipped in Future!) and the excellent Postwar Seafires decal sheet from Freightdog.
Markings are PR474 serving 806 Naval Air Squadron on HMS Glory in the Far East circa 1946, and yes there are photos that show they did run transitional Pacific war to postwar roundels on their aircraft. I feel I’ve probably overdone the grime and the staining a bit, but it is postwar and money and manpower was a bit tight for the Brits at that time and there were plenty of examples of aircraft operating a tad on the grubby side.
That said I welcome any comments and questions you might have and will endeavour to answer them as best I can. I’m also trialling taking photos using our old macro lens used on 35mm film cameras, to our current digital camera, so the photos are a bit on the “variable” side.
In the meantime thanks for looking.