Camouflage & Markings – Hawker Fury
The Fury, originally named Hornet, first entered service with 43 Squadron RAF in May 1931. Powered by the Rolls-Royce V12 Kestrel IIS, the Fury was the RAF’s first interceptor fighter capable of exceeding 200 mph (top speed 207 mph). The relatively high cost of the Fury and economic conditions caused by the Great Depression limited the number of squadrons equipped to only three at once. Number 25 Sqn was renumbered to 41 Sqn at a later stage. The later, Mk.II, version of the Fury was powered by the Kestrel IVS and had a cleaned-up airframe with, most notably to modellers, spats on the undercarriage.
Some Furies were exported in small numbers to foreign air forces, including three to Spain, where they served with the Republican AF. They had a much neater looking sprung undercarriage, and were fitted with the Hispano-Suiza 12Xbr engine.
Yugoslav Furies saw action against Axis forces during the invasion of 1941, ten being destroyed in one action alone on 6th April by Messerschmitt 109’s and 110’s.
Furies remained in RAF Squadron service until January 1939, long enough to have their silver finish and coloured markings disappear under camouflage paint in 1938. They were replaced by Hurricanes and Spitfires.
6 additional images. Click to enlarge.