Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 1/32
First, this is a marvellous subject. I like the paint schemes and really, nothing weathers like a Pacific Corsair. The wear and tear that can be observed on the Henderson Airfield machines are so manifold and rich, I just couldn't keep my hands off from another subject. 465 was captured on two different photographies, one even colorised, although not very precisely. The Dark Sea Blue is rubbed down, scratched, bleached, chipped and resolved by fuel leakage - a dream. There are no obvious special features like nose art or win flags, she’s just a simple war horse and that's exactly what I was looking for. The aircraft is painted in the familiar scheme of white, intermediate blue and dark sea blue. The reference fotos show that white tape was used at 465 to cover the panel lines around the fuel cell. I didn’t like the looks of it, so I used my creative freedom and depicted a point in time when the tape had been removed. I tried to show that some of the underlying paint was teared off when doing this.
Secondly, I wanted to learn new modelling techniques and try some new products and so I found that a familiar kit was the right platform for my experiments.
One of these products was the Mr Colour line from Gunze. These paints are lacquer based and especially when it comes to applying intermediate gloss coats as a base for washes, they proved to be perfectly stable against all sorts of chemical and mechanical attacks. This makes it an excellent base for weathering. While Mr Color Clear and Semi Gloss Super Clear are worth a recommendation, unfortunately their Flat Clear takes away some contrast and color intensity from the surface leading to a quite boring look if light conditions aren’t perfect. I'll have to continue looking for the perfect flat clear.
Chipping I did in the past with the hair spray method was alright, but I wanted to find a method that would allow me to achieve a less arbitrary distribution of the location of the chippings. Reference pictures of Corsairs show that on the front wing roots the paint goes off along the rivet lines. I studied the right procedure by test-painting the according parts separately. The paint was removed and a new attempt started till I was satisfied with the result. I haven’t counted the attempts but I think they were more than five. Using Revell Paint Remover, there was no loss of quality of the plastic at all.
My answer finally to the problem of determined chipping: let the paint dry only for fifteen minutes and use very hot water. With that you can carve the chippings easily with a tooth pick.
I hope you enjoy!
32 additional images. Click to enlarge.