WIP: 5th Update for 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-3 Midway Variant
This article is part of a series:
- Work-In-Progress: 1/32 Trumpeter SBD
- WIP 2nd Update: 1/32 Trumpeter SBD (Color Challenge Resolved)
- Update WIP 3: 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-3 Midway Variant…need to resolve a decal issue.
- Update WIP 4: 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-3 Midway Variant
- WIP: 5th Update for 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-3 Midway Variant
- WIP: 6th and Final Update: Trumpeter 1/32 SBD-3 “Midway Variant”
- 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-3: Battle of Midway
Just some updated pictures capturing the latest progress on the SBD. Most of the progress is resulting from application of Yellow-Wing Insignia decals and squadron/plane markings from the Trumpeter decal sheet. Lots of decal solution and heat was applied to help the decals settle into all the rivet and surface detail. Decals struggled a bit with complex curves on side of aircraft. Many of you suggested I paint my own insignia using masks. I think I may do that on my next build.
Other progress resulting from application of various washes using the products pictured below. You can see some before/after pictures regarding application of a full surface wash on the under surface of the wings. Plane is drying from the enamel and oil washes. Tomorrow I will apply a Matte Acrylic Varnish to finalize the finish. All other missing assemblies are painted, assembled, and ready to be attached to the aircraft.
17 additional images. Click to enlarge.
Get Tamiya Panel Line Washes From Amazon
TAMIYA 87131 Panel Line Accent Color Black For Plastic Model Kit