Don’t Forget the Tow Tractor! 1/32 Trumpeter US Aircraft Tow Tractor
Just finished the Trumpeter 1/32 F6F-5 Hellcat and did not even realize I had another model in the box! That’s right a nice little bonus thrown in by Trumpeter. It’s a nicely detailed, US Moto-tow Tractor.
The Hellcat I just finished was such an intense build that I needed a break and this was the perfect project; build the little tow tractor and have some fun with it. I had no idea what color to paint it so I did a little research on-line for photos. I discovered that this was actually a common question for modelers because Trumpeter forgot to tell us. So some internet research supported the idea that 3 common color schemes were used. It appears they were either Navy Blue-Grey, Green/OD, and/or Yellow. I am a fan of Navy Blue-Grey and wanted it to match many of the Navy 1/32 Fighters I had made this past year so went with that idea. I was not really overly concerned about exact colors because I just wanted to have some fun.
I used acrylic paints for the base and detail colors with an AK Interactive Black Primer as a black base on all parts. BTW this is the second time I used this exact primer and both times I have had severe clogging issues with my airbrush. This happen with old airbrush and my brand new Iwata HP-CS. It really did a number on my airbrush after usage and I needed to tear it down completely and clear the clogs. Regular between color cleaning did not work and I could not even properly spray the second color without this action. I will not be using this paint again.
The Navy Blue/Grey was sprayed on in a mottled pattern over the black with white acrylic being lightly sprayed into panel centers and lots of black primer showing through on the edges. I then applied a very thinned second layer of Blue-Grey to blend it all in. I then dry-brushed the entire body with sky-blue acrylic. Finally I applied a grey AK Interactive enamel filter for designed for Grey Painted Armor. I washed the excess off with a brush soaked in paint thinner. The chipping was applied with a sponge using German black brown Camouflage acrylic by Vallejo. I always use this color with my armor/military vehicle builds. The details were painted using all acrylic paints. It was then sealed in an AK Interactive matte varnish.
Since I painted it grey-blue it made sense to assign this particular tug to a Navy aviation squadron. Because of this I decided to use spare Navy decals/numbers from the spares box. I used some model maker artistic license for this aspect of the build.
So it was a really fun little extra build. Nice touch Trumpeter; this little moto-tow will be featured in a lot of my modeling pictures. I finished this small project in a little more then one sitting. Maybe about 4 to 5 hrs working time. Sometimes you just need to keep it simple and fun.
6 additional images. Click to enlarge.