Battle of France/Battle of Britain Group Build Entry Finally Finished
…and it only took four years, three months, 1000 plus toothpicks, a roll and a half of Tamiya tape, a variety of adhesives, many trips to the “spares box”, countless hours of fitting & sanding, two bottles of the John Jamison, and a clay jug of Tullamore Dew. I’m not complaining though, as I savored every minute of this build. Most of the time it took to complete this project was spent on the Hurricane which started off as the vintage Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I circa 1969 (If anyone is interested in how I built this kit, a twelve part photo-build can be found in groups/Battle of France & Battle of Britain 1940). The rest of the time was spent working on (or working out) the smaller details.
I sourced the figures from several different manufacturers as I did not want a totally uniform look, but rather, an authentic representation of the relaxed dress code regulations which were quite common in most RAF units at the time of the Battle of Britain. I also wanted my figures to represent the typical “Brylcreem Boy” pilots that flew at that time. I had to arrange these figures quite a few times before I found a positioning that I was satisfied with.
And so, I have another completed project under my belt and all for less than the cost of any one of those newer 1/32 Tamiya aircraft kits. Enjoy the photographs.
73 additional images. Click to enlarge.