WIP 1/35 SF EXTRACTION DIORAMA- Part 1
Time for my first post in 2019. For the past two years I think I got skill and tools to make step forward and try to make something BIG. I imagined extraction of special forces in 80x40cm Afghan/Iraq scenery. In this project I’ll try to do a little bit of everything (airplanes, vehicles, scenery, flora, figures, damage and destruction…)
Main kit is Academy’s 1/35 UH-60 Blackhawk, one of the cheapest ($45) kits in 1/35 scale. Kit is worth the price, there was some filling and sanding but generally there was no problem during assembly. I inserted Eduard’s PE cockpit parts, but it was useless investment since cockpit control surfaces are practically invisible. Unfortunately, since I plan to put figures in and arround the helicopter, I ditched pylons and external fuel tanks for better visibility.
Figures are Yufan 1/35 US SOCOM soldiers. Supposed to be SEAL units but I think loadout does not match SEALs in Afghan/Iraq in any period. Vests and weapons indicate period arround 2005, but uniforms come with kneepads, what indicates modern G3 uniforms. So far I painted one figure in (modern) AOR1 pattern, next one I’ll try in 3CD pattern worn in 2005 and see which looks better. Anyway, painting with tip of the needle is a b****.
Update 20. 02. 2019.
Diorama scenery changes as I progress. I never ment to make buildings but as I started working with styrofoam I just had to try that too. So afghan house was added. I’ve been thinking of a way how to glue a real sand onto surface and then I came across acrylic sand immitation gel which is awesome.
Simply put a layer of gel directly from tube, wait for few days to dry out and you have very realistic sand surface.
34 additional images. Click to enlarge.