Italeri H-21C, 1/48th
This is the Italeri Piasecki (Boeing Vertol) H-21C Shawnee (US Army)/Workhorse (USAF), in 1/48th scale. The kit is relatively new, and comes with a nice PE fret, as well as a very comprehensive set of decals, allowing you to build three different versions, including US Army, USAF, and French Aeronavale. I was surprised to learn that this helicopter was powered by a Wright 1820 engine, the same engine used by many famous aircraft, like the B-17, DC-2/3, SBD, T-28, and many more.
I found the kit relatively easy to build, but had some trouble getting all the bulkheads in the engine compartment to fit properly; in the end, I managed to get everything to fit, using a bit of sanding and filing. I was a bit apprehensive about the large, one-piece clear canopy section, fearing that it would not mate-up with the front of the fuselage correctly. I used some super glue to affix the large clear section, by gluing a small section at-a-time, and working my way around from side-to-side. The clear nose actually fit pretty well, with just a hint od warpage that evened-out as the superglue took hold. Masking the frame on the clear nose was done with masking tape and Gunze masking fluid; I noticed that the frames appear a little thick (or wide) after pulling off the masking.
Painting was done using Alclad Aluminum, and Model Master enamel for the top color. A coat of Future (or whatever it is called these days) was applied, as a base for the decals. I used kit decals entirely for this model, and they went down very well (I used a little Tamiya Mark Fit decal solution to help settle the decals down). The decal sheet included a yellow/black stripe for the afte fuselage, but I knew this would probabaly not fit correctly, due to raised, hinge details on the fuselage; I painted the yellow stripe, using Testors flat yellow as the color.
In pictures, it seems like no two H-21’s are outfitted alike, especially with antenna blades, and, most-frustratingly, the under-fuselage sling cable. The kit includes a hook device for under the fuselage, so I used this part, attaching it with some 10 lb test, fishing line, painted black.
Overall, this was a fun kit to build. I hope you like it.
3 additional images. Click to enlarge.