1/72 Scale Academy B-17G converted to a YB-17G
After years of building models I knew everything…hum-bug! I found a photo on the web of a “YB-17G Flying Fortress.” As lot’s of modeler’s say: “I gotta have that kit,” but there is no YB-17G kit available.
For me that was not a problem, so I bought the 1/72 scale Academy kit as I had built two of them. I searched the web for more photos of the “YB” but found nothing!
I found out on my previous Academy B-17G kit that it was best to build in the landing gear struts before you attached the bottom wing section.
I found a spare gun turret, so I built it in by just looking at the photo of the real airplane. I jumped from one section of the model to another and I drilled holes in the machine guns and added the front gun post. My next segment dealt with the cockpit and I added home made seat belts.
My next project dealt with a nose wheel well, including a nose gear strut, tire and doors. I found these ready-made parts in my spare box, which came from a 1/48 scale TF-104G jet model. I closed up the main wing section and added some “b-b’s.”
I revised the two aft stabilizer/elevator parts and added what I thought was two large 20/40mm machine guns. I attached these two items to the front section of the model and used my 90-degree angle card stock tool to align the parts to the model.
I had no idea how to attach the two finish wings to the aft section of the fuselage so it was back to the “experiment” game of try one thing and it that does not work, try something else. After some work, I put on the prop on the inside engine and the ends of the prop hit the fuselage. Revision time! I had to add a spacer to the front of the wings.
I could not get rid of the ridge in the rear tail gun sight window so I just cut it off and glued in a new piece of clear plastic.
I started to paint the model using Tamiya’s paint’s. I found a little “BEAR” image, so I reduced it down and then painted it on top of the left wing.
On final assembly, I added the nose blister using Future Floor Wax as my glue, then added some other parts and some decals.
I like the finished model and it was entered in the annual 2015 IPMS/USA Creig Hewitt “Modelzona” contest and won first place in that category.
What more can I say …But… Enjoy the photos! Rodney.
45 additional images. Click to enlarge.