The "Dallas" canopy was raised up a bit higher than the regular canopy so I just added more "Plaster of Paris" to the first plaster cast. I just sanded it and then made a new plaster cast which looked like the photo that my client sent.
I added lot's of home made parts to the wheel well's and to the cockpit area. Then I got the bright idea to glue the windscreen to the fuselage area then cut it away from the model. It was sanded smooth and then I made a plaster mold and vac-u-formed a new piece which was sanded down to 2000grit and polish out with my "Blue Magic."
After the cockpit was finish and the two halves of the fuselage were glued together I just dropped in the new windscreen section that had been painted on the inside. This was the first time that I ever did any building like this.
I revised the kits drop tanks and built the new elongated one's. I had a fellow modeler cast both tanks, then he made some cast resin copies.
The landing gears were another adventure for me. I took photo's of a real Mustang at our airport in San Jose, CA, then measured everything. I made drawing's at home, then began making all the "master" parts out of brass and copper which I bought over at the local hobby shop. I found a "jeweler" who would cast the parts in brass, but he was very expensive; (USD$150.00). That was costly, but I was getting nearly 10 grand for the model so 150 bucks was next to nothing.
I met the client at the IPMS/USA show in Omaha, or maybe it was Kansas City. The model took a first place award so me and my client were happy. Enjoy! RJW
14 additional images. Click to enlarge.