The Mouse that roared, Germany’s Panzer VIII ‘Maus’
This is Dragon’s older 1/35th Panzer VIII “Maus” – Germany’s ‘super’ tank from the end of the war. Only a couple were completed, and it was found that they were too big to transport by rail, and no bridge in Europe could support their weight! Armed with a 128MM main gun, and a 75MM ranging gun (the subsequent versions were to have a 210MM Gun!), they were more of a semi-mobile pillbox than a tank.
They were a complete waste of time and resources, but fueled Hitler’s mania for bigger, bigger, bigger!
Built basically from the box with the following additions …
– Added Eduard photoetch
– Added wiring for headlights, plumbing for external fuel tank
– Paint scheme from photographs of prototype
– Added welding detail on hull top/side skirt joints
– Added tow lugs on rear hull
– Painted with Tamiya acrylics, weathered with pastels and oils
Hope you like,
9 additional images. Click to enlarge.