Revell 1/48 F-89D “Scorpion”
Ever since Revell issued their Box Scale F-89D Scorpion in about 1956, I have been a fan of the airplane. My dad brought one home with him. It was in the “S” kit box, I believe the artist was Kishady, and it was I that arctic setting, the thing just looked mean. Dad did a decent job on it, brush painting the red and black, I thought it was awesome. I have had this 1/48 kit for awhile and decided to finally build it. The decals were yellowed so I put them on a window facing south and let the sun bleach out the yellow. After about 6 months it was about as gone as it was going to get. Things were going quite well. I checked a build out here on the IModeler forum and some reference photo’s and away I went. My first mistake was putting the main gear on backwards. I didn’t catch that until later to my horror. The Horizontal stab was fixed upside down. There are vents on the tips that need to be on the bottom. I knew that, but yet, here it is on the top. The final blow was the paint. I had a can of Tamiya “Mica Red” and by the cap color looked perfect. Sadly it was/is metallic. At this point I was really frustrated and thought that through dull coating , it would tone down. My wife liked it a lot. So I plodded on. The decals from the kit went on “okay” with some minor breaking but I managed to get them on. I did borrow from another F_89 sheet the natural metal backing for the national insignia, only to find that it is a bit out of register. GRRRR! Too late now, plod on and get this pariah off the bench. I gave it the old dullcoat and when dry unmasked the canopy. Another disaster, pieces of plastic and overspray managed to find their way into the cockpit area and onto the inside of the now cemented canopy. It looks good from about three feet. What started out on a good positive note really ended up trying my patience. I think the problem is, I was trying to get it finished in 2019, and I finally knew that wasn’t going to happen; I had multiple distractions and interruptions from SWMBO, and I should not have used the rattle can red. I do have an airbrush and I could have used good old Testors #3 Red, but the red on the cap was so compelling! Anyway, the last three photos show to good effect the “Sparkly” affect of the paint. Oh well. I did get another one off ebay for a “Decent” price as it is not an easy kit to find, and will do the “J” variant Hopefully my mojo will be in better form. In the meantime, enjoy!
12 additional images. Click to enlarge.