1/700 Prinz Eugen
Trumpeter 1/700 German Cruiser Prinz Eugen 1942
Prinz Eugen as she appeared in November 1942. Photo-etch set and brass masts are Flyhawk. Rope reels are from Big Blue Boy, AA suite is 3dModelParts, crew are from Eduard, and rigging is Infini.
I made many overall improvements on this build from my previous USS Baltimore kit. Firstly, I used the polystyrene foam method for creating the sea base. I textured and foam, pained it, and finished it with gloss acrylic. Though I didn’t get exactly the texture I wanted, I’m very pleased with this method and will use it on future builds.
I wanted to create a better sense of scale on this kit. These 1/700 kits are so small compared to their real life counterparts it’s important to make every effort to show how big they really are. I tried to used painting techniques to introduce variations on the finish and added a decent amount of weathering and finishing to bring out the details and showcase the size of the ship. The crew figures and smaller sized rigging wire really help this effect as well.
I’m quite happy with how this kit looks compared to my previous. The display and diorama came together well too and having the plexigass professionally cut for me made a huge difference in the overall presentation. There are still lots of areas that I’m looking to improve at and try new techniques with. For my next project I think I’m going to tackle a destroyer. Something smaller and simpler that I can actually get done in a reasonable amount of time.
19 additional images. Click to enlarge.