Classic Airframes 1/48 Blenheim IV.f, 404 Squadron, RCAF 1941
This is Classic Airframes 1/48 Blenheim Mk IV, Finished as a 404 Squadron, RCAF, aircraft flown by Wing Commander Woodruff, and F/S Sims on 18 December, 1941, when they scored this units first air-to-air victory, a JU-88, operating out of Sumburgh, Shetland Islands.
The Classic’s kit is a good basis to start from, but required a fair amount of work to complete as a Coastal Command Mk IV.f, as follows…
– Vacuformed side windows with blisters, replaced triangular center window and oval side windows.
– Add wedge shaped rear view mirror
– Detailed cockpit with many scratchbuilt parts (throttles, area behind seats, rudder pedals, sidewalls, belts etc)
– Scratchbuilt rear turret twin Browning .303’s, ammo belts, turret lower section etc.
– Detailed engines with cowl exhaust ring, exhaust pipes, cowl braces, oil sump, flame damper exhaust
– Rescribed airframe, deepened and corrected flight control scribing, and added actuators and control cables
– Scratchbuilt belly gun assembly and blast plate
– Detailed landing gear and wheel wells, added BarracudaCast wheels
– Added all nav lights and landing lights
– Finished with Tamiya Acrylics, weathered with enamels, pastels, and prismacolor pencils
– Decals from kit, Xtradecal squadron codes, Aviaeology serial numbers
24 additional images. Click to enlarge.