Tamiyas Skyraider- I had to switch to the reserve tank to get her home.
This was one of those builds where she ended up spending a few weeks in near solitary, staring at me from the workbench with worrying eyes as i left her unfinished and slowly gathering dust. A few days ago i looked at her sternly, flipped the switch and put in one more push to get her across the line. It was with a smile, and some relief, last night as i pushed the model support into the base for the last time and was able to call her completed.
The idea from the start was to do her in the air so she had to be a wheels up kit. Of course the wheel bay doors don't fit so required minor surgery, putty and sanding and some rescribing to neaten up. The tail wheel was also modified to sit in its up position. The bigger deal, for me, was which way to go regards weathering. It's a Skyraider and the exhaust stains are part and parcel, but of course one can do it clean if one wants. Which is the way i was going to go with just some minor staining...but then i had a few quite drinks on a lovely Saturday afternoon outside...and got carried away.
Once i did the exhaust stains i had to do the fuselage sides and then the oil and grottiness underneath to match. I feel like some of it is hit and some other sections are miss but i had to stop dabbling at some stage and go ok, just pull up, clear it and then do some light touch ups where need be.
The loadout, i was going to swap the 2k bombs for some 1k versions but wasn't prepared to pay the price for them seperately so after much mixing and matching of bombs, missiles and rocket packs i decided on the what she has hanging under her wings purely on aesthetics. I liked the way the pods separated the bombs, the colours and adding of visual interest. I've also never been much of a missile fan on prop jobs.
The bombs were left over WWII stock and i read somewhere in my internet searching that some were stored strapped to pallettes or similar so i tried to reflect this on the bigger two bombs with some tape work and a really light mix of a ratty brown mix.
The canopy rail section behind the pilots headrest, what i started referring to as 'the iceberg', is a piece i made out of milliput. In one book i have it shows a material covering in much the same shape as what i squished together but is something i could have left off. After some further research i decided to remove it but alas, the two pieces were now one. It is what it us, the 'berg.
This kit also outgrew my old photo box and required i go back to single sheets of card for her photo shoot, it really is a beast of a plane.
Edit - i just noticed in the pics that one of the pod stations is sitting loose. It felt a tight fit so i left it unglued, doh.
16 additional images. Click to enlarge.