1/32nd Scale Hun
My latest modeling project was the Trumpeter 1/32nd Scale F-100D, so I thought I’d share a few photos. It gave me the chance to hone my weathering skills as the unique F-100 heat distress around the afterburner area of the fuselage was a challenge. My technique involved priming the entire fuselage with natural metal paint; Tamiya lacquer from a rattle can. Then using acrylic paints, I airbrushed a yellow cromate layer followed by the regular camouflage scheme. Once everything was painted, I used Windex and water and with a small, stiff bristled brush removed the desired layers.
I also used the Zactomodels intake correction. This part, made of yellow resin, was flawlessly molded and fit perfectly; I highly recommend it as it provides a much more accurate representation of the F-100 intake. Just make sure that you modify the kit’s avionics bay to make room for the plug on the back of the resin intake. The plug creates a solid joint for the intake and ensures the plastic fuselage parts conform and match the shape of the intake. I forgot to remove the front portion of the avionics bay when I assembled the fuselage, which meant the perfect fitting part had to be be butt-joined, which was not the way it was meant to be installed. Ultimately, I created a lot of extra work for myself, because without the resin plug I had a hard time getting the fuselage contours to match the intake contour. Just once, I’d like to build a kit without making a stupid mistake, but they have become my personal trademark.
This kit was one of the best Trumpeter kits I’ve built. Everything fit perfectly. I was really fond of the surface detail, rivets and all. I used the kit decals which were also pretty good, except for some slight “out-of-register” issues with the national insignia. They reacted well to setting solution and there wasn’t a trace of silvering.
Except for the shape of the intake, this kit builds into a very nice Hun.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge.