Pavla 1/72 Fieseler Fi-167
I’ve always love the look of this aircraft, and when I saw a Pavla kit a few years ago I snatched it up. There were only about a dozen or so Fi-167’s built. This was the first Pavla kit I’ve built (though I’ve got several more in the stash), and it was interesting…
Panel lines were really gnarly – I tried my best to clean them up, but up close you can see how jagged they are. There were no locating pins – just a few stray marks designed to help locate parts. It did come with some nice PE to help – exhaust grills, steps on the spats, aileron braces, intake grill, spat and tail braces, tail hook, and the central bomb/torpedo rack. The vac-formed canopy didn’t quite fit – it took a little creativity to seat it somewhat properly. And the rigging… 24 runs not including the aerial!
I attached the wing struts, then did the rigged the 20 runs exclusive of those that connect to the cabane struts, then attached the upper wing, then the cabane struts, then the final 4 runs. Once I set the upper wing, I actually had to create an extension of one of the wing struts and use a bit of CA to fill one or two other gaps. Same with one of the cabane struts. Stretched sprue for the rigging spreaders. Uschi Line for the rigging.
It was hard to make out from photos what the actual scheme was, so I went with a few color reference diagrams I found online of a naval 3-tone upper camo scheme, which I think adds more interest to the usual splinter camo. I then attempted for the first time to do some “salt weathering,” but I ran into two problems. First, even though heavily coated with Tamiya Dull Coat, the water beaded up when I tried to dampen the surfaces, causing larger clumps of salt that I was going for. And then either my light gray and white paint wasn’t diluted enough (two separate passes), or I just couldn’t tell how much was going down and laid on too much paint. I didn’t really end up with the “weathering” look I was going for, but more of a modification of the camo pattern. In the end, I like the look, though it’s probably somewhat fictional!
Weathered with the usual (pastel chalks, AK pencils, Tamiya Weathering Masters).
I added crew (in fact – Pavla resin pilots), but that was almost the only addition that wasn’t in the box. Although I did no scratch building on this one, the time to clean up the kit and do the rigging made this a pretty long build. I’m really happy to have this unique bird in my collection.
13 additional images. Click to enlarge.