I am in the middle of building an old Monogram 1/48 B-17 and got frustrated by some paint issues. I decided to take a break, and do a quick uncomplicated build. I have an old Cutting Edge Bf 109E sheet (CED48189). There was one bird in particular that I really wanted to build, but it was a E-3. I had two E-4’s in my stash and no E-3’s. So basically I just said f#@% it and used one of my E-4 kits to build. The only real deviation from the basic kit is a True Details resin pilot’s seat with molded seat belts. it is a quick and relatively easy substitute for the plastic seat and decal belts from Tamiya.
The build was pretty uneventful, and aside from positioning the rudder and tail wheel I also added brake lines on the main gear.
I have really come to hate decals. These decals were really nice, except so thin that they would break apart with the slightest push or pull. The directions say use a mild decal softener like Miro-Sol. I should have read them before I used them, I used Tamiya Mark Fit and Solvaset. One or both of them caused the decals to wrinkle. I did my best to work around the problem but when you look close you can see the wrinkles because even with the clear coat the picked up some of the wash. Still overall I am very happy with the results. I am not a 109 junky or specialist I just like the looks and markings of this plane and am pretty happy with the finished work.
10 additional images. Click to enlarge.