A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Yeah, these guys are good. That Stinson L-1 is a stunner. The A-36 is nothing to sneer at either.

While the majority of F6F-3 night fighters were -3Es as I said, there were -3Ns at the end of the run, a lot of them got re-engined and listed as F6F-5Ns - the difference between E and N is the radar type and its installation, the E is a pod beneath the wing, the N a pod on the leading edge, aerodynamically much cleaner.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That's what I thought Tom, about the radar pods, and yes the guys who work at American Aero Services are very good at what they do. Some of the best...

Over the last several days, life events have been keeping me from the work bench.

I just finished building the spinner for the FR 46 / 47. Once I tacked it together, I sprayed it black. Here the paint is still very wet.

Once the paint sufficiently dries, I will take it back apart very carefully and install the contra rotating prop blades...

Hopefully later tonight I can get some more work done on these.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Somewhere in Florida...

...this is about to happen! @lgardner

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Isn't that the( Photo of Grumman) Collins Foundations Hellcat? I believe they got that from the Evergreen collection along with their B-17. Apparently, the Hellcat has a combat history. If it got lifted off the bottom of Michigan it would be owned by the Navy and there'd be a law suit. It would be interesting to see what the folks doing the restoration are finding out about the different colors. When the Navy got a hold of their early Birdcage Corsair ...the wheel bays where found to be white. Disproving the myth that they where left in a salmon colored primer. A lot of model kits got that primer...

• Profile Photo

There's no Hellcat in the photo. This is from the Aircraft Restoration Company in Duxford, https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/.
    @stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes that is correct. I was posting under Louis's photo's and the computer was kind enough to move my comments to the head of the Que. Either that or this Luddite has once again proven his gifts and talents have no end to their magic.
    I would never make a denigrating comment about Spitfires ...especially ones in a cathedral.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes Stephen
    @stephen-w-towle
    that is the Collings Foundation Hellcat that I posted pictures of earlier. I believe these photos are located on page 14 of this journal now. It is a wonderful looking plane. They're knocking it out of the park ! There should be a link to the restoration page posted along with the pictures of the F6F. Here it is again if you're interested. Click on the little red circles located on the Hellcat drawing. They're shortcuts to the restoration process of that particular section. Lots of great F6F stuff right there...

http://americanaeroservices.com/grumman-f6f-3n-hellcat-buno-41476_Page.html

There are some excellent color pictures showing some areas inside the fuselage before restoration work began. You can see the original Grumman colors in some of these pictures. Please keep in mind that in some places the interior was painted in an incorrect shade of green during previous work by someone else.

The original colors were found later during disassembly, as components were removed. The original Grumman paint was found under these items. Here's a link to a virtual tour of the interior of the plane. Pan around to the bottom of the cockpit area and you can see what I'm talking about.

http://vintagetin.net/F6FHellcat/F6FIntFuselage131126/

They have gone through a lot of extensive research to document the original colors, and have painstakingly restored the plane using the proper "correct" colors as they have been rebuilding this significantly historic machine.

Funny thing you mentioned the Evergreen B-17... It's a beauty too.

Clear prop ! That's what I was thinking ...

Bombs away !

This was an awesome day... It's rumored to be one of the most complete B-17's in existence.

The B-17 should be back soon for a full on restoration. I'll keep you posted. After these pictures were taken, they flew the plane out to avoid the potential of a possible hurricane hitting the area, which could damage this jewel. Since the plane was still flyable they decided to postpone the work a little while.

James,
    @jamesb
    I really enjoyed that picture... Spitfire heaven right there !

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, I thought you would like that shot. It's quite the collection.

Stephen @stephen-w-towle, I had forgotten about that photo. No harm, No foul and No worries. I wish the system would drop replies directly where they are made. I've had that problem before too.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Agreed on that replies issue gents. I’ve had it too. It works on some occasions and not others. There is probably a pattern. Nice if it could be fixed though.

Louis, great photos - loving those of you on the hot seat!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks fellows...

Today I got some more work done on these Spitfires. These were masked off previously, and today I finally managed to get the Dark Earth color sprayed on.

These next few pictures were taken shortly after I finished spraying on the base color. These are still very wet and have yet to dry.

Here's the Tamiya Mk Vb with clipped wings. I will go back and add the Middle Stone color next...

Next up is the Tamiya Mk I...

The Airfix Mk 1 is next.

Finally I sprayed the Airfix Mk Vb. This one will eventually be done as a George Beurling plane.

I gradually thinned out the Dark Earth a little more on each Spitfire. I was hoping to get some slight variations in the color after they dried. I was hoping that the Dark Earth would look a little more weathered on each plane.

Here you can see the results... and it worked out exactly like I wanted it too... I'm stoked !

Next item of business is to spray on the Dark Green (or Middle Stone as in the case of the Mk V's...).

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good Louis.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I can see why you are happy with the painting, that matt covering is really nice (and very realistic) and the modulation of the tone is perfect for the scale in my opinion. A very re owe job very well done.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I have to agree with David on this Louis - the dulling down has really taken this to another level - it is a trademark of yours, I think. I know during one of your builds when that high-gloss coat goes on the fun is just about to start! The results in terms of colour fading at this stage are immense!

• Profile Photo

I have some paper masks that I will try out on these Spitfires soon. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some Dark Green colors sprayed on.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments and please stay tuned for updates.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Now that the other builds for the 100 years of the RAF have been completed, I hope that I can devote more time to finishing up some Spitfires.

During our recent correspondence, Paul Nash sent me some paper templates to use as masking for these Spitfire builds. He was kind enough to provide both the "A" and "B" patterns. Paul also sent me some additional Squadron Code lettering so that I can build several other Mk1 versions instead of the original choices I had made.

Here's the "A" pattern put to good use... this one is the new tool Airfix Mk1.

and how it looks after spraying on some RAF "Dark Green"

The finish looks to be spot on. You can judge for yourself in these next two pictures. I am very happy with the results. Too bad I have to spray on some gloss and add decals... but it's necessary.

Finally this is how it looks after a few coats of "Future". I'll let it sit for a few days to allow the clear to fully cure. The decals will be next... followed by another "lusterless" or more appropriately called "egg shell" finish to seal the decals and knock down the shine some.

The nice thing about using these masks is that I can replicate the factory style of painting and get more uniform results.

Thanks again Paul ! We are very fortunate to have a great bunch of people here on Imodeler...

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.