A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks gents for the kind words.

As a side note, I received an email from Hannant's that the 1/48 scale Tamiya kits (new tool Spitfire and P-47D Razor Back) are on their way and should be crossing the pond very soon.

With today being a holiday, I got some more work done on the Tamiya Mk Vb.

I started out by masking off the fuselage band. Then I masked a straight line where the tops and bottoms of the letters "FL A" are going to be. This is a reference line used as an aid to make sure the letters are where they should be, and that they are square.

Then I started masking off the actual letters. I used Tamiya tape, after I cut it down to a width of 2MM.

Once I was happy with the letter's positioning, I removed the yellow alignment tape. This left the fuselage codes "FL
    A" behind.

The next step was to spray on some RAF "Ocean Gray". These next two pictures were taken right after I finished spraying the color. You can still see how it is wet and shiny.

I cleaned the air brush. Then I placed the Tamiya Spitfire on the stand to let it dry overnight. Possibly tomorrow I will spray on some RAF "Dark Green" in the "A" pattern.

This is how the Spitfire looks at the moment...

Calling it a night.

As always, Comments are encouraged.

Happy New Year !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Louis, your 301st post! And a tutorial in painting roundels and numbers rather than using decals! In the dictionary under 'indefatigable' there is a picture of you and your spitfires! Sensational as ever!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Would that be in Websters? Paul

• Profile Photo

Upon reflection, most likely Encyclopaedia Britannica, given I that have said there are photos, Chuck! Happy New Year, by the way!

• Profile Photo

Happy New Year ! May 2019 be a healthy and happy year for all of us.

Wow... we crossed over the 300 posting mark. This has been a journey indeed, and I sincerely appreciate the comments gentlemen.

Last night I sprayed on some more colors on the Tamiya Mk Vb.

Here's how it went:

I started out by masking the plane using the "A" pattern templates.

Then I sprayed on some Dark Green. While it was drying, I cleaned the air brush and swapped colors. I had to touch up the underside Gray color under the rear of the fuselage. Then the airbrush was cleaned up again...

By now the paint had dried. I couldn't stand it any longer and had to remove all of the masking to see how it looked.

I was very happy with how it turned out. I decided to leave the area under the fuselage RAF roundel in the "Sky" color. I'm hoping this solid light color will help to keep the fuselage roundel decals look more uniformly even in color. I have had problems in the past with the differences in underside colors changing the way a decal looks in final form once installed.

Also by spraying on the "home made" fuselage codes rather than relying on a decal, I don't have to worry about any "silvering" with the fuselage codes. In all honesty, I wouldn't want to try this with any letter that was not comprised of simple straight lines. Any "B", "C", "D", "S", "O" ,"P" or "Q" would be above my pay grade ! I might have missed a few of the alphabet, but you get the idea... 🙂

The undersides look equally as nice. I am very pleased with the outcome so far.

Thanks for looking. If things work out accordingly, I might have this one wrapped up over the weekend.

The next step will be to spray the outer leading edges of the wing in yellow. This particular plane used a yellow "IFF" stripe on the on the outboard wing panels.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Nice work as usual Louis!
    The same high standard of post too.
    A pleasure to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Not that it matters at this stage, but for future planning and consideration: I always do the yellow wing leading edge stripes on RAF airplanes first, then mask them off and proceed with the rest of the painting. More likely to get everything the right size this way with not having to use a ton of masking tape to prevent any yellow overspray. Just sayin'...

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the compliments / comments.

Tom C., I used to paint mine that way with the yellow wing stripes going on first. But inevitably, the tape covering the yellow would lift, allowing overspray to get on top of the yellow. I'll show how I did mine in this next installment. Granted it does use a little more tape, but for me the end results were worth a little more work.

I'm sure that it goes both directions, with pros and cons in each method. I have tried both, and this one seems to work the best for me. I'm not saying that it would for everyone.

I simply had a problem with the tape lifting over the sharp curves that are found on the leading edge of the wing. This was especially true where the end of the stripes met the camouflage. The lengthwise portion wasn't too bad as a rule.

I have some Tamiya tape that really seems to stick well. Maybe I'll give it another try on the next one.

Thanks again gents !

• Profile Photo

Here's the progress I made so far tonight. Things went very well... 🙂

Here's the method I used for taping of the yellow stripes.

Just like Tom C. stated, there is more tape used this way. A whole lot more tape is used...

But it has worked very good for me so far. I think that part of the trick that helps to avoid overspray is that I spray using a very low pressure. In doing so, this helps to reduce the overspray. Again like Tom C. stated, getting overspray on top of your freshly painted camouflage is not going to make you happy...

It also helps if you don't "aim" your air brush in a fashion that blows the paint towards the surfaces that are not masked off. This will get overspray on top of your fresh paint too. I try to keep the nozzle of my air brush pointed at a 90 degree right angle to the surface being painted, but this is hard to do on the leading edge of the wing...

Since I was spraying yellow, the almost "mandatory" pre shade using white as a base was applied...

Once it dried, I gave it another coat of paint using yellow. The tape came off and here's the end results.

The bottom of the wing turned out very nice too.

Then it was time to apply some dry transfer letters and numbers. I wanted to duplicate the serial number of "BM-461". Using "Woodland Scenics" Rail Road dry transfers, this is how the Port side turned out.

The same thing was done to the Starboard side. After the letters were in place, I carefully took a fresh razor blade and very lightly scraped away the letters in places where the "Sky" color was applied for the fuselage codes.

The fuselage code letters were sometime painted right over the top of the serial number. This is how I duplicated the look.

This Sky colored fuselage band and code letters "F" and "L" will require just a slight touchup. They should look pretty decent once I get this done.

Next up was applying the larger decals. I wanted them to dry overnight. so that tomorrow I can tackle the small stencils.

I'm going to use some decal solvent to snuggle the decals down a little better on the underside of the wing roundels and on the upper wing roundels where the ammo boxes are located under the red center.

Calling it a night,
    hopefully tomorrow I can get some more done, and hopefully have this one knocked out by Sunday...

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

However it works is the best way to do it. I do agree I have to get the tape down nice and tight and pay attention in the rest of the process.

One thing I notice is a little silvering of the underwing marking. Easy-peasy to solve. Slice the decal with a #11 tip, then slather in solvent. The air under the decal will depart, the decal will set right down and you'll never see evidence you did this.

• Profile Photo

I know I go on about it a lot, Louis. I'm just too excited for words for the photograph of this lot together. I'm saving a special spot for it! Looking as sharp as ever, my friend - you are bringing us home in fantastic style!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I know in this scale for a lot of modelers getting those sharp clean edges on the decals and on the paint declaration lines... its of the utmost importance. Everything has to be painting in bilateral portions too. In reality a lot squadron codes were painted by hand and the edges or lettering wasn't perfect. Recently, within the past year the Russians found yet another Bf-109 F-2 sitting on a lake bottom and they managed lift it in remarkable condition. Once the a/c hit the fresh air the painted start to deteriorate and crack and peel. However, the crosses were obviously painted by brush and you could easily discern that they were painted by hand. Some mistakes are good.

Louis, will you be burned out with Spitfires when your Tamiya Spitfire reaches your door step? I recently went to my LHS and the Model Master paints were stripped of all RAF colors. Just dust remained. Knowing this day would come, any thoughts for a suitable replacement?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Such well done paint scheme, another different camo, with all the airframes you built the last year, (seems like only 6 mos), not one was alike. Very diverse. With my experience over the year with RAF and Japanese with the yellow ID leading edges, it would depend on the airframe and how complicated it would get to paint them first or after the camo has been painted. 90% of the time I will do what you did Louis and paint them after the camo has been applied. Either way the result are as you hope it ends up, a perfect yellow ID marking on the leading edges. Steve's point is actually a good one to know that is a nice bit of info. Beautiful work Louis.

• Profile Photo

A package arrived in the mail from Hannant's a few days ago...inside it was this !

Everything good that has been said about the new tool Tamiya Spitfire looks to be on the mark. It's a fabulous looking kit in the box... 🙂 Maybe in the near future I will do a kit review on it too.

But I have been getting burned out on Spitfires. I just started a 1/48 scale Tamiya Ki-61 Hien to "clear the air".

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

The Ki-61 Hien is now finished and the article has been posted in the headlines section.

Now the race is on to get one more Spitfire completed before the deadline is here.

Last night I applied the small stencil and walkway border decals on “FL*A”. These pictures were taken as the decals were still wet. I used "Future" to help adhere them down and to assist with eliminating silvering. So far, so good.

This morning I will spray the Tamiya X-21 mixture over the entire airframe and seal the deal.