A non-negotiable group policy about political content?

Started by Paul Barber · 26 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I don't think anything I have said here conflicts with what you're saying. Having seen what happened at "the other place", I may have a "hair trigger" myself against that. I think if everyone keeps using their intelligence as they have since this site began, that all will continue to be well.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Paul, just saw this.

My two cents: It's a modeling site, let's stick to modeling and only modeling. That's what makes iModeler so fantastic. if in doubt, don't post, or better yet, run it by the admin.

My thoughts. Best to all,

DT

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 9 months ago:

That is entirely my aim, Tom. My 'growth' mindset - a learned one for a reasonably introverted individual - is that things can always improve. Everyone should continue to feel safe to post and comment, and no-one should feel excluded or uncomfortable. I'd hate people to think that I don't hold free speech to be sacred. I embrace democracy as the best system (although like everyone else who has experienced the political cycle I don't believe it always gets the right outcome!). If I have to do absolutely nothing else, as people use their intelligence to stay within the bounds of respectful comment and feedback I will be redundant as an interventionist administrator and highly delighted!

• Profile Photo

David thank you, for me there is a delicate equilibrium. I love the tangents, the human-kindness and the social side, they are the glue that holds together the outstanding modelling content. I know you love that element too. But I'd agree it all comes back to a group of people with a shared interest, and that we are originally here for that reason. We are lucky enough to get the 'gravy' too!

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Gentlemen,

A bit late on this thread, but after a consideration and reading all the posts I think it deserves a bit of an editorial input.

Firstly, everyone please be reminded that there is a general moderation policy at iModeler. It is a foundation of how we, the iModeler Team, are managing the site and make any content moderation decisions, and it is available for everyone to see under "Guidelines and Tutorials" link in the page footer. Direct links below for your convenience.

iModeler Content Moderation Guidelines
    iModeler User Terms of Service
    While it is understandable that not everyone might want to read through a policy document before starting to post anything :), these remain valid policies that apply for all posting across the iModeler site. "Political content" happens to be covered there, please refer to chap. 2 & 4 of the Moderation Guidelines. The Moderation Guidelines are also devised in a way which should free any group administrators from the necessity of adding their own particular policies or netiquette rules. This is important, because we want you to focus on running the group (or any other initiative at iModeler) with a comfort that the iModeler team has got your back, and we wouldn't like the members to have to cope with different posting rules for each group. As a final remark, one may also ask how often our moderations actually do take place. Up to this point, we have had to intervene only a handful of times every year. It is as much our achievement as everyone's, so thanks you all for keeping this place friendly and accommodating, and your discussions as open-minded as they are! Happy posting, /Martin & the iModeler Team
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Maynard said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Sign in a bar room (Pub for our overseas cousins) "NO DISCUSSIONS ABOUT POLITICS, RELIGION OR BASEBALL".

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Politics smolitics! Time to build another Phantom

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I agree that this site should be about the things that unite us, I.e. modeling! Also, regardless of political views, the machines we build are not a homage so much to the people who built them, but advancement of the technology they pioneered.

Just build and enjoy your craft. Let the politicians figure out the rest. We are all united by a common passion, let that be our legacy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

I couldn't have said it better !

The last time I looked, the name of this fantastic website was still Imodeler and not Ipolitics ...

Now back to building some Spitfires (or some RAF Phantoms for Robert) ! 😉

• Profile Photo

Martin - thanks so much for posting - very nice now to have it from 'the horses mouth' so to speak.

Gents, it is there for everyone to read:

"10. The platform is ours, but the conversation belongs to everybody. We want this to be a welcoming space for intelligent discussion, and we expect participants to help us achieve this by notifying us of potential problems and helping each other to keep conversations inviting and appropriate. If you spot something problematic in community interaction areas, please report it. When we all take responsibility for maintaining an appropriate and constructive environment, the debate itself is improved and everyone benefits."

In short, direct any misgivings to the editorial group and then wait for their response and swift action! I pm'ed Martin less than 10 days ago and we are already (hopefully) at a conclusion.

For those not following the link here are two excerpts from the 10 point policy that relate to tone and politics, as discussed in this post:

"2. Maintaining a reasonable tone. We want users to feel free to discuss topics that they are enthusiastic about, but we do ask them to find ways of sharing their views that do not feel divisive or toxic to others. Always consider your impact on others when making your contribution. We reserve the right to redirect or curtail conversations which descend into flame-wars based on ingrained partisanship or generalisations."

"4. This place is about a hobby. Your views on politics, governments, organisations, the World or the society in general are respected, but should be kept out of this arena. There are more suitable places on the web to discuss these subjects."

Mike, Robert, Matt - exactly right!

Thanks for all of the discussion and the supportive words here and by pm - I am very that glad we are on the same page as the official policy and that protocol is, very publicly, crystal clear.

Now, I have some builds to add to the inventory and a plane or three to build!

As the RAF motto says 'Through struggles to the stars!'

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Paul, you're welcome. Glad this helps.