a Pair of 1/48 Early Hurricanes………. Airfix Mk 1, and a Classic Airframes ”cloth wing” version

Started by Louis Gardner · 106 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks guys, and yes I agree this Hurricane kit is a very nice one indeed. I would venture to say this is the best one on the market now... 🙂 I have yet to build a Hasegawa version, and there's about 6 of them in the build pile along with the older Hobbycraft MK II Night Intruder kit that are left to be built. I'm going to use the tail hook assembly from this Airfix model and try to use it on one of my Hasegawa kits that is already boxed as a "Sea Hurricane" with a resin insert plug. I hope the Airfix parts will be a simply add on and help to eliminate one of the joints that goes along the fabric on the underside behind the wing.

Airfix was smart the way they designed this kit, and eliminated this hazard... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tonight was spent working on the seams, getting several of the 100 Years of the RAF planes ready for some paint.

These two Hurricanes got some attention too... and one got a little bit of black paint sprayed on ! 🙂

I spent some time working on the seams of these two planes tonight, getting them ready for paint.

A little filler was added to the nose of the Airfix kit.

and a little was added on each side of the fin next to the stabilizer.

There was a sink mark present on each side:

Then the lower surfaces got some paint ! I sprayed the underside of the Port wing with flat black, and pre shaded the panel lines on the other side in preparation for some white paint. Hopefully tomorrow I can spray the white.

The C/A kit was then sanded along the joints where the fuselage parts were glued together. The plastic shines up nicely after some wet / dry sanding.

The fuselage spine should be OK.

as should the wing root...

The nose seam will require just a tad of filler at the seam...on the top and the bottom sides.

Maybe tomorrow evening I can get this done.

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"...

• Profile Photo

Last night we had a nasty storm roll through. I was in a hurry to get off the computer so I could shut it down and hopefully avoid the possibility of taking a lightning strike.

I had a few more pictures to add.

These show the radiator assembly and the two little braces that are part of the Airfix kit.

I brushed on a light wash of "lamp black" oil to bring out the details.

This little step brought the radiator to a new level.

Enjoy !

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good, despite some work around those seam lines what I see is a great kit. I’m sure it will look terrific once you finish it Louis! I know that what I’m about to say may shock some people out there, but the Hurricane is second to none in the RAF fighter inventory.

• Profile Photo

Wow thanks Pedro. You saying something about the Hurricanes like that wasn't expected !

Especially since you really enjoy your Luftwaffe subjects ... (I do too 🙂 )

Tonight I sprayed some white on the underside of the Airfix Hurricane.

While I had the color loaded in the air brush I sprayed some on the Airfix Mk 1 Spitfire too.

Here's how the plane looks once the masking tape was removed. The remaining portions of the underside will be painted in aluminum dope color. While I am spraying the aluminum color I will respray the wheel wells since they look horrible with the over spray now.

It's starting to look a little better with each new step.

This Airfix kit has to be one of their very best new releases.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 8 months ago:

The post shading is a perfect approach here, Louis - I’m amazed that you are managing to time these builds so that they are totally in synch. Mind-blowing to me with my three WW2 subjects still in piles! Inspirational as ever!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul for the kind words... I especially liked your last postings on your builds.

I try to plan the builds in my mind as I go. On occasion I'll write down a note or two for things I need to do, (or want to do) on the subjects at hand. Right now I'm concentrating on the early and "Pre War" schemes, so I can paint them all at the same time. The next color I want to spray is the "Aluminum Dope" undersurfaces. Then I'll move on to the upper camouflage of browns and greens.

• Profile Photo

Today I got some more work done on both Hurricanes... They should be ready for the final paint work very soon...

Last night I added some putty to the broken resin radiator intake opening for the C/A Hurricane. I let it dry overnight and then rough sanded it to shape this morning.

Next I used a single edge razor blade and carefully removed this half moon shaped portion of plastic from under the wings. The fit is pretty bad and there was a large gap present once I test fit the radiator in place.

Then I added the carburetor air intake using CA glue... This part is resin and cast really nice.

I made up a half moon shaped spacer out of plastic sheet, to fill in the void area of the radiator.

Once the glue dried, I simply sanded the surface flat so that it would fit much better on the underside of the wing.

Next step was to glue the radiator in place...

This was pretty much the last step needing completion before I can start the primer treatment. I gave some of the areas a quick wet sanding with 2000 grit wet and dry paper. The C/A Hurricane is starting to look a little better with each new step...

Following the wet sanding, I sprayed on a little primer to check the surface and to fill in a few small imperfections. I also sprayed the resin wheel wells again, since they were really looking sad after I wiped them down to remove some old overspray...

Here's a better look at the radiator and wheel wells now that they have been primer painted. It's amazing what a little paint can do... This area should look even better with a little more wet sanding...

I sprayed the wing roots, and the upper engine cover and just behind the cockpit too.

Then I switched gears and did a little work on the Airfix Hurricane...

All of the sanding has been done and I located the problem spots. The putty I added a few days ago was sanded. and a final coat of primer was sprayed on these trouble spots. There were only two locations that required putty. First was the forward fuselage, just on top of the engine along the seam. This is how it looks now:

and the two little sink marks by the fin and stabilizer were taken care of too. Here's how they look at the moment. If you're building one of these, do yourself a big favor and sand this area first, before you add the stabilizers...

The Airfix Hurricane is ready to spray... The C/A cloth wing version should be ready to spray soon...

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, I would do the aluminum last, I sometimes have trouble with the masking separating the aluminum paint !

• Profile Photo

I was thinking about that. I sprayed the aluminum last on the TBD painted in a "Yellow Wings" scheme for the same reasons. I am going to use Model Master Metalizer and then clear it to hopefully seal it.

Do you think it would be OK to try if I seal it with a coat of Future first ?

I was going to give it a try just to see. The aluminum color looks like it would be easier to mask off when I'm spraying the upper camo colors.

What do you think ?

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Louis, even the metalizer will separate, sealer should help, you can try soaking the masking off to weaken it, you would need to let the Future dry well first, good luck !

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the response Allan. I'm going to heed the warnings and spray the aluminum color last. It never occurred to me that the actual metallizer could separate. I had a recent fiasco with future and it not being dry enough. So I'm just going to wait and spray the metallic color on last. I appreciate the feedback.

Today I spent some time spraying the remaining main wheels for all of the aircraft I have started for the "100 Years of the RAF" GB. I had most of the Spitfire wheels done, but when I decided to add the rest of my 1/48 scale Spitfires into the mix, I needed to paint the wheels for the latest additions.

These are the Hurricane wheels and how they look at the moment. The Classic Airframes resin wheels are on the left, while the Airfix kit wheels are on the right in this picture below.

I also decided to add the wind screen on the Airfix Hurricane, and as soon as some masking work is done, these two are ready for the top side camouflage colors. The gun sights have also been added on both planes.

Getting closer...

Thanks for looking, and as always,
    "Comments are encouraged".

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Last night I managed to spend a little time working on the two Hurricanes...

Since the clear parts have not yet been added to the Classic Airframes "cloth wing" version, and since I'm going to spray the "Aluminum" color on the undersides last, The masking was very easy to accomplish.

Here's how it looks after I sprayed on a few coats of "Dark Earth".

The wind screen was masked off on the Airfix kit. So now as soon as I seal off the inside of the wind screen, and cockpit areas, this one will be ready for some Dark Earth paint as well.

After letting the paint sit overnight, it flowed out rather well, and has a nice even finish. Here's how the C/A Hurricane looks at the moment.

If things go well, later tonight I just might get some "Dark Green" sprayed on...but first I have to install the air speed venturi on the side of the fuselage. I just noticed the part hasn't been installed. I goofed. Ooops.

The very early Hurricanes had this in stead of the typical pitot tube that was mounted on the wings shortly after production commenced. I think it was present on the first 78 machines, and after that the switched to the different type for the air speed indicator.

Maybe someone here with more knowledge about the Hurricanes can fill us in on this. I'm not an expert by any means and would like to hear from someone that knows.

as usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I remember building two of these, and if you haven't glued the venturi in place yet, let me suggest you wait till the painting is done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Will do... thanks for the tip.