a Pair of 1/48 Early Hurricanes………. Airfix Mk 1, and a Classic Airframes ”cloth wing” version

Started by Louis Gardner · 106 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

And then there were two...

I just finished spraying the Airfix Hurricane with some Dark Earth color.

It's literally is still wet in these pictures and has yet to fully dry.

I'll let it sit overnight and go from there.

I'm calling it a night. Thanks again for looking.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Loving the 'live' action posts, Louis. They are looking perfect. I'm lagging the painting a little - I am looking forward to seeing how you are going to mask these for the green!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul !
    I have been enjoying your builds as well. I really like how the open gun bays look on your planes.

• Profile Photo

Today I made some headway with the Hurricanes.

I started out with masking the areas off that I wanted to remain in the Dark Earth color.

Luckily for me, both of these Hurricanes are using the "B" scheme. This made things a little easier for me since both aircraft have even numbered serial numbers. So far I have not found pictures of the actual early cloth wing plane that I'm building.

I have found a few pictures of other even numbered planes and they all appear to be using the "B" camouflage scheme. On the few planes that I found photos of that were odd numbers, these also all appeared to be using the opposite "A" camouflage scheme.

It's entirely possible however that the schemes may have been swapped around on occasion, but so far I have not found any photos showing this.

So I guess in order to be completely sure is to locate a photo that shows the actual plane that you intend to build.

After I confirmed the layout of the borders between the colors, I started spraying on the Dark Green.

The Model Master enamel went on very smoothly.

These pictures were taken shortly after the models were sprayed. The plane in this photo shown below is the Airfix Mk 1 with the metal wings.

After the paint dried sufficiently I removed the masking. This photo below shows the Classic Airframes cloth wing version.

I'm very happy with how they turned out.

I have been using the stands that Craig gave me a little while ago and they have been very useful when it's time to let them sit overnight.

I'll end tonight's posting with this picture that shows both Hurricanes as they are right now.

Thanks again for looking and as usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I really like that you raise the edges of your masks, the best way to get the final look right. I found that running a thread about 1/16" in from the edge lifts it just enough. And if you want to do an "unmasked paint job" (late WW2) paint job, just aim the airbrush a bit "in" the mask. 148 scale "overspray."

• Profile Photo

Really looking the part now, Louis! Those camo colours look really cool, as ever. I’m glad to be about to do some of these too. The Luftwaffe camo schemes range from exciting (parrot squadron 190s) to drab (some defence of the Reich planes), as Chuck says. I’m glad to be doing something I haven’t done for a very long time, but which brings back those childhood memories, where Airfix kits in 1/72 were accompanied by a ragged red plastic paint brush, a skinny tube of glue and half a dozen tiny pots of paint. I know such things still exist but they seem very much something that would have been ‘state of the art’ for a child modeller of the early 70s!

The hurricanes are looking fantastic, Louis!

• Profile Photo

Tom C.,
    Thanks for the compliments. I have to give Rick Wilkes the credit for using the little rolled putty "snakes". I am extremely pleased with the results. I have some paper mask templates for use on 1/48 Spitfires now, in both the "A" scheme and the "B" scheme, thank to Paul Nash.

When it come time to spray the later War Mark Spit's I'll keep in mind the suggestion for the overspray effects. Thanks again.

Paul,
    I hope you will like the next set of pictures. I think these Hurricanes will be ready for decals very soon now...

I remember those days of childhood modelling... It seems like I would slam a kit together in a few hours, using tube glue, and didn't care about paint colors... Much simpler times indeed.

• Profile Photo

Tonight's progress on the Hurricanes:

Taking Allan Withers advice, I painted the Aluminum Dope undersides last. This meant that I had to mask off the rest of the plane to prevent overspray from seeping onto the upper camouflaged surfaces.

Somewhere under all of this tape is a new tool Airfix Hurricane...

The Classic Airframes "cloth wing" kit received the same treatment. However most of the underside was left exposed as it will all be painted in Aluminum Dope color.

Here's a photo of both kits just prior to painting.

This photo shows the variations in the paint schemes. The very early CA cloth wing version will be mostly in Aluminum Dope color, so I left it un masked. It can be seen on the left in this picture below.

The Airfix kit has black and white undersides on the wings, and is on the right side. This picture was taken just before I sprayed on the color.

Here are the same planes laid out in the same manner. However they have been sprayed in "Aluminum Dope" color now. I used Model Master "Metalizer" Aluminum Plate color for this.

This next photo will show the Airfix Hurricane after it was sprayed. I sprayed the interior of the main gear wells, along with the underside of the nose and the rear portion of the fuselage and stabilizer / elevator assemblies.

Here's a close up of the CA cloth wing Hurricane just after it was sprayed. The masking tape still has to be removed at this point.

Here's the moment I really enjoy. It's like unwrapping a Christmas present. What takes about an hour to do is removed in a few minutes... The tape was removed, revealing the CA "cloth wing" Hurricane !

Next up was the Airfix Hurricane...

Man I'm stoked !

A little touch up work will be necessary. I'll leave these two sit overnight, and hopefully tomorrow spray on a few coats of Future in preparation for some decals...

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking !

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Really looking good Louis! Exceptional comes to mind.

• Profile Photo

That underside scheme with just the wings b and w and the rest aluminium is one I’m going to use! Talk about an inspiration! This is looking just right - you are entitled to be happy, my friend. The dope look is looking beautiful!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, Paul’s absolutely right when he says this is inspirational. Really makes you appreciate the Hurricane in a different way, like taking a new look at her. The ‘artwork’ Is beautifully done, and I get that ‘Christmas’ reference, is there another feeling like peeling away the tape and seeing a job match your expectations?

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Lovely work Louis!
    Impressively thorough masking!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Those are really looking superb, Louis. Really superb!

• Profile Photo

James B,
    Thanks for the kind words...

Paul,
    Now that some clear "Future" acrylic has been sprayed on these two, they seem to really pop. I know they will get toned back down with some flattening agent, but boy they look good at the moment... I'll be posting up a few pictures in a minute or so... The B & W undersides has a look that you normally don't see too often, and I am pleased with the choice. I think you will be too. Go for it !

David LS,
    It's always good to hear from you my friend. Thanks for the compliments, and yes it was just like Christmas morning for me !

David M.
    There was a lot of masking involved, but it saved the upper surfaces from contamination with paint overspray. I have had that happen a time or two before, and found out that this is the best way to help prevent this from occurring. It still can manage to find its way around even with careful taping. I even reduced the air pressure some to help eliminate overspray.

Tom C,
    Thanks for the compliments.

• Profile Photo

Last night I sprayed on a few coats of clear acrylic "Future" floor coating. I let it sit overnight, so it has dried good enough to touch.

This was done to provide a nice glossy surface for the decals, and will hopefully help prevent silvering when it's time to add the stickers.

Here's how the Classic Airframes cloth wing early Hurricane looks now.

The CA kit is followed by the Airfix Mk 1 that has the metal wing.

I added a few extra pictures of the Black and White underside for you Paul... 🙂

These will sit for a few days to allow the Future to completely cure. The decals will be next...

getting closer.

As usual,
    Comments are encouraged.