Airfix 1/72 Gloster Gladiator MK 1

Started by Bill Ferrante · 14 · 11 months ago · 1/72, Airfix, Gladiator, RAF
  • Profile Photo
    Bill Ferrante said 6 years ago:

I have finally gotten started on this. It will be a prewar example from 87 Squadron, 1938. So far the fit has been good, the main challenge being the somewhat large sprue gates on the smaller parts. The fuselage guns did not survive the process but their barrels did so the aircraft will still be properly armed. Onwards!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

I like the way it looks so far Bill.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years ago:

Some other methods of dealing with those pesky parts would be... 1) a heated X-acto blade (and old one)...2) a razor saw (a small one) or, using sprue cutters, detach far enough away from the part in order to file and/or sand the remaining plastic. Jus' sayin'. - šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Great to see you are off to a flying Start, Bill! Interior is looking spot on! Thanks for the update on Sqn number and year - I have updated the list appropriately.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Ferrante said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Made some progress and I am closing in on the decal stage. Plastic still cracks even when cut even with a razor saw. The other "new" Airfix kits I have built have not done this so maybe this kit was a fluke.

On every build I like to try something different. This time it is a new primer from Badger called Stynylrez. It is water clean up and comes in a wide variety of colors, not just the normal grey, black, white and red. It grabs very well and had no problems with Floquil Bright Silver thinned with xylene being sprayed over it. More tests such as Alclad and AK to follow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

'Some progress' - that's a serious leap Bill, and it looks just marvellous! Very impressive metallic finish! Engine is looking spot on, too. This was a great choice for RAF100!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Ferrante said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Way, way late but finished. Ran into a siamese flak cat and I nearly tossed it. Better late than never, I guess.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking fabulous, @ferrw!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nicely done Bill.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Always great to see - well done Bill !

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks absolutely splendid -would love to know how you did the rigging. The plane is a beauty!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice work on this! Iā€™m glad you finished it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

A beautiful Gladiator, Bill @ferrw
    Seems like a challenge to get the rigging done this nicely in 1/72.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Ferrante said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you. Since I got to do this twice, the first time was with EZ line. After the mishap, I drilled out the location holes with a .4MM drill bit and used Uschi .005 line. I put a tiny dab of super glue into the .4mm hole, and then dipped the end of the line in super glue kicker. I did all the tops of one side first and let them dry overnight. I then cut the line to about 90% of the length (it stretches) and did the same super glue / kicker setup, pulled the line and placed it in the hole with tweezers. Count to 10 and hopefully the line stays. šŸ™‚