Airfix 1/72 Gloster Gladiator MK 1

• 6 posts
  • Last reply 4 months, 3 weeks ago
  • 1/72, Airfix, Gladiator, RAF
Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts
  • Bill Ferrante said 6 months, 1 week ago:

I have finally gotten started on this. It will be a prewar example from 87 Squadron, 1938. So far the fit has been good, the main challenge being the somewhat large sprue gates on the smaller parts. The fuselage guns did not survive the process but their barrels did so the aircraft will still be properly armed. Onwards!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Allan J Withers said 6 months, 1 week ago:

I like the way it looks so far Bill.

• Craig Abrahamson said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Some other methods of dealing with those pesky parts would be… 1) a heated X-acto blade (and old one)…2) a razor saw (a small one) or, using sprue cutters, detach far enough away from the part in order to file and/or sand the remaining plastic. Jus’ sayin’. – 🙂

• Paul Barber said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Great to see you are off to a flying Start, Bill! Interior is looking spot on! Thanks for the update on Sqn number and year – I have updated the list appropriately.

• Bill Ferrante said 4 months, 4 weeks ago:

Made some progress and I am closing in on the decal stage. Plastic still cracks even when cut even with a razor saw. The other “new” Airfix kits I have built have not done this so maybe this kit was a fluke.
    On every build I like to try something different. This time it is a new primer from Badger called Stynylrez. It is water clean up and comes in a wide variety of colors, not just the normal grey, black, white and red. It grabs very well and had no problems with Floquil Bright Silver thinned with xylene being sprayed over it. More tests such as Alclad and AK to follow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Paul Barber said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

‘Some progress’ – that’s a serious leap Bill, and it looks just marvellous! Very impressive metallic finish! Engine is looking spot on, too. This was a great choice for RAF100!

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts